These dark chocolate vegan almond joy cups are decadent, creamy, crunchy and perfectly sweet. Plus, they’re easy to make if you use pre-made coconut butter.
I’ve never been one of those people who enjoy making nut or seed butters from scratch. I always thought they called for way more effort than they were worth.
But when I got the idea to make these dark chocolate vegan almond joy cups, I knew I’d have to do something I haven’t done in over two years and make my own homemade coconut butter. Because my local grocery store is a joke and they don’t sell coconut butter for some reason.
I won’t get into too much detail about my coconut butter making experience but I will say that both my food processor and blender are absolute crap and I need to fork out the money to upgrade.
On the bright side, these dark chocolate vegan almond joy cups are stupid easy to make. They call for just 7 ingredients and take about 30 minutes to throw together, including freezing time.
You literally just need to melt some chocolate, pour it into a muffin tin and fill with a mixture of coconut butter, coconut flour and sweetener. Then finish off with more melted chocolate, almonds and coconut and pop it in the freezer.
Honestly, the hardest part about this recipe is finding space in the freezer for the muffin tin.
I highly recommend using store bought coconut butter for these to keep things as simple as possible. But if you’re feeling fancy, definitely go ahead and use homemade. You do you, girl.
Either way, you’ll have dark chocolate vegan almond joy cups that are creamy, crunchy, perfectly sweet and guaranteed to satisfy all your almond joy cravings.
One last note: I made 6 giant almond joy cups because I was too lazy to walk up the stairs for my 12 cup muffin tin (#ExSlothWho?) and too impatient to make 2 batches.
Do yourself and your blood sugar level a favour and either make 12 or split each cup into two servings. Because these things are decadent AF.
If you make these vegan almond joy cups, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag it @ExSloth on Instagram!
More coconut butter goodness:
- ⅓ cup coconut butter
- 2 - 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 whole almond
- Optional: 1 tbsp desiccated/shredded coconut
- 2 cups vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- shredded coconut
- chopped almonds
- Line 6 cups** in a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside
- Add coconut butter, maple syrup and desiccated coconut, if using, to a small bowl and stir to combine
- Add coconut flour one tbsp at a time and mix well until a stiff dough forms. The amount of coconut flour you use will depend on how oily/drippy your coconut butter is
- Place the filling in the fridge to firm up further while you make the chocolate coating
- Add chocolate and coconut oil to a medium sized microwave safe bowl and microwave until smooth, stirring in 20-second increments
- Scoop 2-3 teaspoons of filling into your hands and mold into a ball then flatten slightly and gently press one whole almond into the top. Repeat until you've made 6 filling patties
- Add 1 - 2 tbsp melted chocolate to each muffin cup until they're about ⅓ full. Place coconut butter 'patty' on top and finish with another 1 - 2 tbsp melted chocolate
- Repeat until all 6 muffin cups are full then top with shredded coconut and chopped almonds
- Place muffin tin into freezer and freeze for 15 - 20 minutes
- Remove almond joy cups from muffin tin and allow to thaw slightly before peeling off cupcake liners
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer
Liked this recipe? Try these pumpkin seed butter cups next:
Agness of Run Agness Run says
This is one of the most mouth-watering treats I’ve seen in a while, Giselle! I will have to give it a try!
Agness of Run Agness Run recently posted…10 Healthy Party Snack Ideas & Tips 🍪🍹🍌🍏
Oh my goodness, I need to make these asap! O.o
Almond Joy is one of my favorite candy bars! I love that you made a healthier version into cute little cups. Gotta’ try!
Sara jones says
WOW, yummy and mouthwatering, i love chocolate and almond joy, you make this a quicker version of my favorite ingredients. Simple and quick definitely i am gonna try it,Thank you, loving it.
Made it this weekend. They are fantastic.
I made these today for my grandchildren and they and their mother and I enjoyed them very much so thank you!
christi lavoy says
I just saw this and sounds delish! Trying it this weekend. Why stored in the freezer not refridg? Thx!
Carla Corelli says
Joy is the word 🙂 These chocolate cups look absolutely delicious – and making them smaller will just mean that I will eat more of them 🙂
Carla Corelli recently posted…How to go Low Contact with a Narcissist: A strategy for when No Contact is impossible
slope game says
I prepared these for my grandchildren today, and both they and their mother, as well as I, had a lot of fun eating them, so I want to give you a big thank you.