These jalapeño ginger grapefruit mimosas are lightly sweet and super refreshing with a slight kick that makes them perfect for celebrating the new year.
What are your NYE plans? Anything exciting?
I’m pretty boring these days and just the thought of getting dressed up and staying out all night gives me hives. So a raving New Year’s Eve bash is obviously out of the question.
But I can totally get behind a New Year’s Day brunch to celebrate the dawn of 2017, especially if these jalapeño ginger grapefruit mimosas make an appearance.
I actually attempted to share a similar grapefruit mimosa recipe back in 2014. The drink itself was pretty good but the photoshoot was a hot mess. I won’t get into the details but let’s just say it ended with broken glass, lots of tears and this roundup of NYE cocktails in lieu of my own recipe.
But since then, I’ve successfully shared 2 margarita recipes, an easy holiday sangria and this epic spiked hot chocolate. So I figured it was finally time to give that NYE cocktail another go.
Traditional mimosas call for orange juice and champagne but I decided to mix things up with these spicy grapefruit mimosas. The recipe is fairly simple and only requires 5 ingredients, none of which is champagne.
As I mentioned before, I have a serious love of cheap, sweet wines so my first change was to swap the champagne for presecco. It’s much more budget friendly and isn’t nearly as dry, which is a double win in my books.
I also skipped the OJ and went for a mix of grapefruit and orange juices along with some ginger and jalapeños. It may sound like an odd mix but trust me, these spicy grapefruit mimosas are pretty damn amazing.
They’re slightly sweet, super refreshing and perfectly spiced. Plus, the added kick from the ginger and jalapeños is just the kind of boozy wakeup call you need to jumpstart the new year.
Cheers to 2017, friends!
More easy cocktails:
- 3 deep red grapefruits, juiced and chilled*
- 1 navel orange, juiced and chilled*
- 1 knob of fresh ginger, more or less to taste
- ½ jalapeño, seeds removed
- 1 375ml bottle presecco, chilled
- Optional: jalapeño and citrus slices for garnish
- Blend together grapefruit juice, orange juice, ginger and jalapeño until smooth
- Strain the juice and discard the pulp
- Fill each champagne flute half way with strained grapefruit juice mixture, then top with chilled presecco
- Garnish with jalapeño and citrus slices, if desired and serve immediately
Want more holiday cocktails? Try this sangria: