These paleo vegan salted caramel brownies are rich, fudgy, perfectly sweet and call for less than 10 ingredients in total. Great allergy friendly dessert for potlucks, parties or even Valentine’s Day.
These brownies have been on my mind for months. No matter what I did, I just couldn’t get the thought of brownies smothered in salted caramel sauce out of my mind.
Which is strange since I’ve never been a huge fan of caramel. But now that I finally made my dessert dreams a reality with these paleo vegan salted caramel brownies, there’s no way I can go back to a caramel free existence.
The recipe for these paleo vegan brownies is pretty simple and calls for less than 10 ingredients. Oh, and you’ll only need one bowl (plus a saucepan if your caramel sauce isn’t already made).
I used my tried and true vegan brownie recipe as the base for these but I cut down on the sweetener since the caramel is more than sweet enough.
I also swapped the peanut butter for tahini to make this paleo friendly but any nut or seed butter should work.
The first time I made these paleo vegan salted caramel brownies, I swirled some caramel into the batter before baking and drizzled them with more caramel once cool. It was good but the caramel swirl basically disappeared, so I decided to try again.
For attempt number 2, I skipped the caramel swirl and I smothered the still warm brownies with almost a cup of caramel sauce. Then I just popped them into the fridge to set.
The second batch had a more intense salted caramel flavour, thanks to the inch of caramel on top and was the clear winner in my eyes. But it didn’t stack very well, which made storing them a bit of a pain.
Totally fine if you plan to eat them all at once, though. Because the more caramel the better, right?
That being said, if you plan to serve these to other people, you may want to go easy on the caramel sauce or let them drizzle it themselves.
Now that I’m in love with salted caramel, I can eat these by the truckload. But a caramel newbie may want to ease into the rich, fudgy, deliciousness that are these paleo vegan salted caramel brownies.
More brownies recipes:
- 1½ cups tahini
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water (for flax eggs)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ½ cup cocoa powder*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts*
- ½ - ¾ cup vegan salted caramel (recipe makes ~ 1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9x9 brownie pan or line with parchment paper and set aside
- Combine ground flax and water in a medium bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and set aside for 5 minutes until an egg-like gel forms
- Add in the tahini, maple syrup, apple sauce and vanilla and whisk until well combined
- Add the cocoa powder, baking soda, chocolate chips, walnuts and/or other mixins of choice and fold in with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula
- Transfer batter to prepared brownie pan and top with extra nuts or chocolate chips if desired
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the brownie comes out clean
- While the brownies are baking, prep the caramel sauce if you haven't already done so and allow to cool slightly
- Remove the brownies from the oven and pour the slightly cooled caramel sauce onto the still hot brownies, making sure to spread the caramel evenly with a spatula. Alternatively, you can allow the brownies to cool slightly before slicing then drizzle with caramel sauce
- Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired and place the pan on a wire rack on the counter or in the fridge (to speed things up)
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving
* substitute chocolate chips and walnuts for ½ cup of mixins of choice