Hey Friends! How’s it goin?
Although I reintroduced meats like chicken and turkey after cutting them out for my elimination diet, I’ve mostly been sticking with seafood these days. Why? One- because I’m kind of fed up with eating the same things over and over again and two- because my body feels lighter – for lack of a better word – whenever I take a break from meats. Yes, I’ve done this before.
This break from meat is a little more fun than ones I’ve done in the past, because I’ve been having loads of fun experimenting with different pescatarian and vegetarian meals. The highlight of my long weekend came on Monday afternoon when I had a genius brainwave that resulted in this:
Before we get into the awesomeness that is this recipe, here are some of my other seafood laden eats from the last week:
WIAW: A Week of Pescatarian Eats
My breakfasts haven’t changed much since doing the elimination diet, just lots and lots of oatmeal and smuices.
Due to a civic holiday for I have no idea what, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen this weekend (read: all three days). So, in addition to the garlic shrimp pasta, I also tried making healthy fish ‘n’ chips. The sweet potato fries were amazeballs but the fish wasn’t exactly what I wanted. Don’t worry though, my taste buds and I are gonna have a little more fun tweaking this one for the next little while.
I went to a barbeque a couple weekends ago during the elimination diet and I carried some store-bought veggie burgers so I’d have something to eat. They were really good, so I’ve been pan frying the leftovers at home and enjoying them with Ezekiel bread and a side of these sweet potato and beet chips. #Yum
And of course, no pescatarian diet could be complete without sushi! This is a recycled sushi picture from my beach trip last month, but I did have sushi more than a couple times in the last few weeks. I was just too busy chowing down to take pictures 😳
And now, the moment we’ve all been waiting for, the recipe:
Garlic Shrimp Pasta with Roasted Beets
I haven’t had beets since last Winter when I had this Beets & Veggie Smoothie Bowl for breakfast everyday for a week. I actually made that again this week using the roasted beets and it was delish.
p.s. I’m pretty sure this pasta dish will taste just as good with golden beets, but I kind of like that the red ones turned everything a little red
- 1½ cups fusilli pasta (or two servings of your pasta of choice)
- ½ cup of cooked quinoa- I used a mix of white, red and black
- 10-12 uncooked shrimp; peeled, deveined and without tails
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 red beet, roasted and chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil; separated
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped veggies like peppers, onions, mushrooms, corn,
- Pre heat oven to 350F
- Scrub beets under running water, pat dry and wrap in foil
- Place beets on a baking sheet and bake for 1hr or until easily pierced with a fork
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Run under warm water and rub with hands to remove skin
- Chop and set aside
- While the beets are roasting, cook the pasta and quinoa according to the directions on their respective packages
- Season the shrimp with parsley, salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil and garlic in a small pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes
- Add shrimp and cook until pink, turning occasionally- roughly 5 minutes
- Add in beets and veggies and saute for another 2-3 minutes
- Once everything is ready, add pasta, quinoa and shrimp and beet mixture to a large salad bowl.
- Sprinkle with vinegar, remaining olive oil and more salt and pepper if desired
- Mix well and serve
What about you?
Have you ever tried a pescatarian diet? What are your favourite ways to cook seafood? Are you a fan of beets?
Share in the comments below!
Subscribe for weekly health tips
This post was included in the following linkups: What I Ate Wednesday, Wake up Wednesday, Create & Share, Treat Yo’ Self Thursday, The Weekend re-Treat, Let’s Get Real, That Friday Blog Hop, Get Him Fed, Say G’Day
More Mains & Apps