These chickpea flour omelette muffins or vegan egg cups are easy to make and are a great option for an on-the-go savoury vegan breakfast.
But loading up on sugar first thing every morning isn’t great so one of my eating goals for 2017 is to find more savoury vegan breakfasts. Which is why I’m sharing these chickpea flour omelette muffins today.
Eggs were never really my thing growing up. But when I started working out in 2013, I began adding eggs into my diet for extra protein and I quickly got used to it.
Obviously, now that I’m vegan, eggs aren’t an option anymore. Luckily, vegan eggs, like tofu scramble, are a thing so I don’t really feel like I’m missing out.
However, as much as I love tofu scramble, it isn’t all that great as a grab and go breakfast. And now that I have a full-time job and leave my home every morning, quick breakfasts are a must.
Thankfully, tofu scramble isn’t the only vegan egg substitute out there.
I discovered chickpea flour omelettes a few weeks ago and fell into deep, deep love. And I’ve been dreaming of turning them into portable, make-ahead vegan egg cups ever since.
These chickpea flour omelette muffins require very little prep and – other than the chickpea flour itself – they call for ingredients you probably already have on hand.
The best part is that they’re easily customized to your tastes. I threw in some sautéed veggies, vegan breakfast sausage and vegan cheese but the sky is the limit when it comes to mix-ins.
Regardless of what you put in them, these vegan egg cups are easy to make and super filling. Plus, they refrigerate really well so they’re perfect for busy mornings. Basically, they’re the ultimate savoury vegan breakfast, on the go.
More savoury breakfasts:
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup lite coconut milk or other non-dairy milk
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 tbsp olives, diced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Optional ingredients:
- vegan breakfast sausage
- vegan cheese, for topping
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet
- Add shallots, bell peppers and carrots and sauté until softened, 2 - 3 minutes. Next, add the vegan sausage, if using, and cook according to package directions. Finally, throw in the olives and kale and sauté until the kale is slightly wilted, 1 - 2 minutes
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Preheat the oven to 450F, grease a muffin tin and set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, coconut milk and water until well combined
- Add in remaining ingredients and mix well
- Divide the sautéed veggies evenly between muffin tins then do the same for the chickpea flour egg mixture. These won't really rise so fill the muffin cups almost to the top. You should fill get about 6 - 8 cavities
- Use a fork or knife to stir the veggies and batter together so the veggies aren't all settled at the bottom then top with vegan cheese, if desired
- Bake for 15 minutes then lower the the temperature to 430F and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then carefully run a knife around the edges and remove the egg cups from the tin. Be very gentle as they can be fragile when still warm
- Serve immediately or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, before storing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days
Want more grab and go breakfast ideas? Try these quinoa oat bars: