It’s the second day of December, which means I should be fully submerged in the holidaze. This time last year, I literally gorging myself on these Dairy Free Peppermint Chocolate Covered Pretzels. However, instead of Christmas food galore, I’m currently obsessed with this Vegan Shredded Tofu Pesto Sandwich. I know, except for its colour, it’s as far from holiday related as you can get.
To be honest, I’m not really sure what ‘holiday’ food is. I’m actually pretty sure it’s different everywhere. I know people in North America go crazy for pumpkin, gingerbread, cranberries etc. around this time of year. But in Trinidad, Christmas time means pastelles, sorrel, ham, black cake and more.
So who knows. Maybe this tofu pesto sandwich is the definition of holiday food in some unknown-to-me country.
This sandwich is my first successful forays into playing around with tofu. Before October, I’d never bought tofu in my life and I’d only eaten it a handful of times. So for the last couple months, I’ve been trying out different tofu recipes I found online.
But when I woke up on the morning after my birthday, with a craving for a chicken pesto sandwich, but no chicken in sight, I figured it was time to get creative. I grated some tofu, yes grated, whipped up a batch of my vegan kale walnut pesto and satisfied the eff out of that chicken pesto craving.
I won’t lie and say this tastes exactly like pesto chicken. Because it doesn’t. Tofu is its own thing and I try hard not to think of it as a meat substitute. That way lies madness and a lot of disappointment. But, this vegan shredded tofu pesto sandwich is pretty darned good in its own right.
It’s creamy without being mushy, hearty and ridiculously easy to make. I think it’s perfect as is, but you could also add some cranberries, pomegranate seeds (<- trust me!) or grapes for a little extra pizzaz.
If you try this recipe I’d love to know what you think! Comment below and leave a review or share a photo of it with the tag #ExSlothEats on Instagram!
- ½ a block (~175g) extra firm tofu, drained and shredded*
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup vegan kale walnut pesto (or your favourite vegan pesto)
- ¼ -1/3 cup Vegenaise depending on desired creaminess
- salt & pepper to taste
- bread and tomato slices for serving
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add shredded tofu, salt and pepper and saute for 3 to 5 minutes until lightly browned
- Allow to cool for a couple minutes, then mix together tofu, pesto and Vegenaise in a bowl until well combined
- Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired
- Serve sandwiches on toasted bread of choice with tomato slices and tofu pesto mixture
Want to try this recipe? Scroll over and Pin it for later!
What about you?
- What is your idea of holiday/Christmas food?
- Have you ever shredded tofu before?
- What are your favourite tofu recipes?
Share in the comments below!
More Vegan Recipes: