I think I may be coming down with something, because this is my second savoury recipe in less than two weeks. Usually I’m lucky if the blog sees two savoury recipes a year, far less in the same month. But, like the vegan kale walnut pesto pizza from a couple weeks ago, this Vegan Pumpkin Sweet Potato Risotto just couldn’t not be shared.
The first time I ever had risotto was actually last year when I had two foreign exchange roommates. One was from France and the other from Italy, so you can imagine that communicating in our apartment wasn’t always easy. Especially when you added my Trinidadian accent and slang into the mix. But, despite the language barriers, we quickly bonded over our shared love of food.
We spent hours in the kitchen talking, laughing, cooking and, of course, eating. And all that time in the kitchen helped us form friendships that I’m positive will last a lifetime, which is crazy since we only lived together for about 5 months. I never really understood the power of food, and how it can draw people together until that semester.
Anyway, the point is, risotto was one of our favourite things to make. Partly because it was a challenge to get it right every time, but mostly because it just tastes to freaking good. So, this creamy, pumpkin-y, easy to make, vegan pumpkin sweet potato risotto is dedicated to my two old roommates who I’m sure would have loved it just as much as I do.
Vegan Pumpkin Sweet Potato Risotto
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup diced onions (about half a small onion)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup rice (I used arborio)
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- dash of nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 small sweet potato, cooked and cubed (about 1½ cups)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm vegetable stock in a saucepan over low heat. It should be gently steaming while you make the risotto, not simmering or boiling
- Heat the oil over medium heat, in a large saucepan or high sided skillet and sauté onions and garlic until onions are tender
- Add the rice and stir until everything is coated with oil and the edges of the rice turn translucent
- Add apple cider vinegar, stir and simmer until the pan is almost dry
- Add ¾ cup of vegetable stock, nutmeg and cloves and stir
- Wait until the liquid is almost completely absorbed before continuing to add more stock ¾ cup at a time. Stir in pumpkin and sweet potato cubes with the final batch of stock
- You'll know the risotto is ready when the rice is tender, but still has a little bite to it
- Turn off the stove and add another ½ cup of vegetable stock to make the risotto extra creamy*
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
More about #PumpkinWeek2015 October 18-23
Join 6 awesome bloggers as we share pumpkin recipes on our blogs and social media for one pumpkin-y week ending in a giant pumpkin recipe link-up on Friday!
Amanda from Diary of a Semi-Health Nut | Instagram
Suzie from Suzlyfe | Instagram
Erin from Table For Seven | Instagram
Becky from Olives n Wine | Instagram
Katie from Talk Less, Say More | Instagram
Giselle from Diary of an ExSloth | Instagram
Want to join in the fun?
Simply tag your pumpkin recipes on Instagram with #pumpkinweek2015 and/or join in the link- up on Friday! We will each be picking our favourite posts from the hashtag to share on our blogsFriday, so be sure to check each of the co-hosts’ blogs. (Please note that participating means we can share your photos—with credit—on our blogs and social media.)
What about you?
- Have you ever made risotto? Do you prefer yours extra creamy?
- What’s your favourite meal to cook with others?
Share in the comments below!
This post was included in the following linkups:
More Pumpkin Recipes: