I can’t remember the last time I posted a savoury recipe on the blog. I make no secret of that fact that I adore sweet breakfasts and desserts, and I share recipes to that effect. But, yesterday I made a simple Roasted Veggie Pita Pizza that I topped with Vegan Kale Walnut Pesto, and just had to share it.
A couple weeks ago I decided to give the Hamilton Pizzetta at Williams Cafe a try. I was still on my meatless eating stint, so the pizzetta was one of the few things on the menu that I could actually eat. I was a little hesitant to try it at first, because I’d heard the mozzarella was the best part. But, I was hungry, so I went with it.
Much to my surprise, that mozzarella-less pizzetta blew my tastebuds away from the first bite. It was so good that I decided, then and there, to try recreating it at home.
I had all intentions of using the same toppings they did, which included mushrooms, roasted red pepper, grilled zucchini, basil pesto and arugula, but life got in the way. And by ‘life’ I mean my terrible memory. I forgot to buy the peppers and the arugula and I didn’t get enough basil for the pesto. Plus, I was way too lazy to make an actual pizza crust. But I was determined to make this pizza happen, so I decided to improvise.
I’ve been on a kale kick since the beginning of September, so I add some to the pesto to make up for the lack of basil. All green things are basically the same, right? I also add roasted sweet potatoes to make up for the lack of peppers. That’s definitely not a natural substitution, but I thought it would look nice in pictures. #doitforinsta. But, in the end, that was a good thing, since I forgot to actually put the mushrooms on the pizza. They’re actually still sitting in the fridge where I put them when I got back from the grocery.
You’d think with all the missing ingredients and random substitutions, this would have been a flop. But, this roasted veggie pita pizza, topped with vegan kale walnut pesto was honestly one of the best savoury things I’ve made in a long time. Even if it wasn’t a true copycat of Williams’ Hamilton Pizzetta.
Roasted Veggie Pita Pizza with Vegan Kale Walnut Pesto
- 1½ cups kale leaves, loosely packed
- ¾ cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp prepared mustard
- ⅓ cup walnut pieces
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- pita bread
- roasted veggies
- your favourite pizza sauce
- Optional: dairy free cheese or extra nutritional yeast for topping
- Add all pesto ingredients, except the olive oil and salt & pepper, to the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed
- With the food processor still running on low, slowly pour in the olive oil
- Continue to process the mixture until desired consistency is reached, scraping down the sides as necessary
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-head oven to 350F
- Spread pizza sauce onto pita bread and top with roasted veggies and cheese, if using
- Bake for 5-8 minutes (or until cheese is melted)
- Remove from oven, drizzle with pesto and sprinkle with extra nutritional yeast
What about you?
- What the best thing you’ve made/eaten at a restaurant recently?
- Have you ever had/made vegan pesto? What did you think about it?
Share in the comments below!
Linking up with: #RecipeOfTheWeek, Meatless Mondays, #MeatlessMonday, Lena’s Tasty Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Create & Share, Retro Repin, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, #RecipeFridays, #StrangeButGood, Real Food Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Foodie Friday, Fitness Friday, Friday Favourites, Savoring Saturdays,
More Fall Favourites: