Remember golden milk? That ‘next-best-thing’ that’s already so last month? Well, I’m not over it yet. And I don’t think I ever will be. I honestly can’t get enough of the cold-fighting, immune-boosting yellow goodness that is turmeric. Which is why I put it in all the things these days. Including these vegan coconut ginger golden milk scones.
Want to know something odd? These scones actually started off as granola. And by that I mean I’d originally planned to share a recipe for golden milk granola with you today.
But when I woke a few days ago and found Ashley’s amazing banana bread scones gracing my IG feed, all thoughts of making granola went out the window. And the idea for these coconut ginger golden milk scones was born.
Can we take a second to talk about scones vs biscuits? Prior to this year, if you asked me to pick, I’d choose biscuits every time. Who can resist a good flakey,
butter coconut oil biscuit for breakfast?
But then my eyes were opened to the world of scones and I was a goner. Same amazing texture but with all the flavours and mixings? Sold. Plus, they’re triangles instead of regular old circles, which shouldn’t matter but totally does. #priorities.
All this to say, that these vegan golden milk scones are my new favourites for breakfast and brunch. Sorry drop biscuits.
Vegan Coconut Ginger Golden Milk Scones
Despite what a lot of people think, scones are actually really easy to whip up. They do take since advance prep since you need to refrigerate your coconut oil ahead of time. But apart from that all you have to do is:
- mix together the flour, sugar and spices
- cut in the coconut oil
- stir in the coconut milk and other liquids
- fold in the crystallized ginger
- shape into a circle, cut and bake
Then you’re left with flakey, vegan coconut ginger golden milk scones that are perfectly sweet and subtly spiced, with a slight kick thanks to the ginger.
Oh and don’t forget the optional (but not really) coconut butter drizzle. It elevates these scones to a whole other level that you need to get on ASAP.
If you make these golden milk scones, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe below or take a pic and tag me @ExSloth on Instagram!
- 2 cups spelt flour (I used a mix of light and whole spelt)
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2½ tsp turmeric
- a pinch each of black pepper (optional) and salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, cold (solid)
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- coconut butter for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and spices
- Cut the cold coconut oil into the flour mixture using a fork, pastry cutter or your cold fingertips
- Carefully stir in the coconut milk, lemon juice and vinegar with a wooden spoon, until the dough begins to come together. Use your hands if necessary but be careful not to overwork the dough
- Gently fold in the crystallized ginger
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a circle about 8 inches in diameter
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet and cut the dough into 6 - 8 triangles using a sharp kitchen knife
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove from oven, pull the triangles apart and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes until the edges start to brown
- Allow to cool slightly before drizzling with coconut manna
Want more golden milk recipes? Try this one next:
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later:
What about you?
- Scones or biscuits?
- What’s your favourite scone flavour?
- Have you ever had golden milk scones before?
Get Social with me on: