Yes, you read that right. I’ve got another gingerbread recipe for you today. I would apologize, but I’m really not that sorry. These vegan gingerbread brownies are just too good to regret. Plus, it’s my birthday. Which means I can write about anything I want, right?
I’m actually not quite sure what to write about today. I feel like, since it’s my birthday (the big 2-4) I should have some words to wisdom to share. A favourite quote, at the very least.
But when I sat down to write, I had was a glass of wine on my right, and a one of these vegan gingerbread brownies on my left. Obviously the only words running through my mind right now are ‘give me more’. Because wine and brownies are the best combo ever.
But now that I think about it, I can probably apply that to life in general. So I’ll give it a whirl.
Warning: the recipe for the vegan gingerbread brownies is at the bottom of the post if you’d prefer to skip the wine and brownie induced birthday ramblings.
I’ve spent a lot of my life basically hiding from life. I let so many opportunities pass me by because I was too lazy, too shy, too much of an introvert or too (insert excuse here) to grab life by the balls and just live it. So, my mantra for the upcoming year is gonna be ‘give me more‘.
More creativity. More drunken nights with the girls. More knowledge. More out of my career. More love. More from the blog. More experiences. More from life. And most of all, more from myself.
Is it gonna be easy? Probably not. Stepping outside your comfort zone never is. But I’m determined to at least try.
After I have more celebratory wine, of course. And more of these unbelievably delicious vegan gingerbread brownies.
Vegan Gingerbread Brownies
And for those of you who actually came here for info on the brownies, here’s the dl:
- They’re the perfect cross between cakey and fudgy
- They’re free of flour, gluten and refined sugars
- They’re sweet without being overpowering
- They’re filled with ginger, especially if you use the freshly grated stuff
- They’re perfectly spiced and taste of fall
- They’re the best birthday brownies I’ve had since last year
More Holiday Desserts:
- peppermint pumpkin seed butter cups
- chocolate mint avocado pudding parfait
- red velvet shortbread cookies
- 2 cups natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup ground flax + ¾ cup water (for flax eggs)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 7 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2-3 tsp ground ginger*
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Optional: 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine ground flax and water and set aside for 5-10 minutes until an egg-like gel forms
- In a medium bowl, whisk together peanut butter, flax eggs, maple syrup, molasses and vanilla
- In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except grated ginger
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just incorporated
- Fold in grated ginger if using
- Transfer batter to a greased brownie pan and top with extra grated ginger if desired
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the brownie comes out clean
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes in the pan before slicing and serving
What about you?
- Do you get introspective on your birthday?
- What’s your favourite birthday treats? (Mine are brownies if you didn’t catch that)
- Have you every had gingerbread brownies?
Share in the comments below!