These easy-to-make vegan zucchini orange coconut yogurt scones are soft on the inside, crispy on the outside and the perfect combination of cakey and crumbly. Great for on the go weekday breakfasts or fancy weekend brunches.
My roommates and I had a bbq a few weeks ago and I may have gone a bit overboard on the fruits and veggies at the farmers market. In my defence, it was my first market trip of the season and I just couldn’t resist all the produce begging to come home with me.
That’s probably why I still had a huge bag of oranges, a couple massive zucchinis and 10 multi-coloured carrots leftover almost two weeks later.
I haven’t figured out what to do with the carrots yet (ideas/suggestions welcome!) but I put the rest to good use in these zucchini orange coconut yogurt scones.
Side note: Can we chat for a second about how it’s been two whole months since I last shared a sweet recipe on the blog? Granted, I haven’t been posting all that often lately but that was also the last time I baked something sweet outside of blogging as well.
The truth is, I just haven’t been craving sweet stuff like I used to. Luckily, scones aren’t that sweet so I foresee no issues when it comes to polishing off this batch.
These coconut yogurt scones call for just 10 ingredients and come together in under an hour, with only about 15 minutes of that being active prep time.
The recipe is pretty similar to my golden milk scone recipe but instead of coconut milk and apple cider vinegar, I used cultured unsweetened coconut yogurt with orange juice as the liquid.
I also cut down on the sugar in these coconut yogurt scones quite a bit but I honestly didn’t notice it at all, thanks to the fresh OJ.
Even without the vegan ‘buttermilk’ these coconut yogurt scones are to die for. Soft and flaky on the inside, crispy on the outside and that perfect blend of cakey and crumbly that every great scone promises.
While the scones were cooling, I also whipped up an easy 4 ingredient coconut yogurt drizzle that’s optional but highly recommended. #thatdrizzletho
I’ve been enjoying these vegan scones with a cup of tea in the evenings but I know they’re perfect for everything from on the go breakfasts, to fancy brunches and even afternoon snacks.
More orange recipes:
- orange grapefruit chia seed marmalade
- cranberry orange oatmeal sticks
- orange kale quinoa smoothie bowl
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose spelt flour
- 2 - 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 oranges, zested and juiced*
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup cold coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut yogurt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ⅔ cup grated zucchini
- 3 tbsp coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 400F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Cut the cold coconut oil into the flour mixture using a fork, pastry cutter or your cold fingertips
- Carefully stir in ¼ cup orange juice and coconut yogurt with a wooden spoon, until the dough begins to come together. Use your hands if necessary but be careful not to overwork the dough
- Gently fold in the grated zucchini
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a circle about 8 inches in diameter
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet and cut the dough into 6 - 8 triangles using a sharp kitchen knife
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes then remove from oven, pull the triangles apart and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes until the edges start to brown and the scones are cooked through
- Allow to cool slightly before drizzling with coconut yogurt drizzle
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl until well combined
- Store in the fridge until ready to use
Liked this recipe? Try these orange poppyseed donuts next!