It’s the first week of May which means Cinco de Mayo is coming in fast, so we’re gonna chat about that today. Actually, we’re not because I don’t really know anything about it. Like St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo isn’t exactly something we celebrate at home in Trinidad. So instead we’re gonna talk about these vegan breakfast tacos with mango pineapple salsa.
I honestly had a different recipe planned for you all today and was all set to let Cinco de Mayo pass the blog by for yet another year. But yesterday, while doing my morning blog reading, I saw a few of my blogger friends had shared not one, not two, but four taco recipes in honour of May 5. Plus a wicked awesome recipe for pineapple cherry margaritas.
When I saw that, I knew I wouldn’t be sharing that other recipe with you today because tacos would be the only thing on my mind after that. (Yes, I’m super last minute and usually do my food photography the day before a post goes live. Oops.)
I do my blog reading in the morning and I hadn’t yet had breakfast when I saw those taco recipes, which just made my cravings worse. Obviously.
I toyed with the idea of just recreating one of the recipes, having it for breakfast and moving on with my day as planned but there were a couple issues with that. Firstly, I didn’t have necessary ingredients for any of them. But, more importantly, I am not one of those people who can have non-breakfast foods for breakfast. Even if I wake up in the middle of the afternoon, I’m having breakfast.
So these vegan breakfast tacos were born.
Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Mango Pineapple Salsa
These vegan breakfast tacos come together fairly easily, but there are a few parts to them:
The black bean tofu scramble filling:
This was super simple to throw together since all I had to do was halve the recipe for my black bean tofu scramble. I didn’t have any kale on hand so I just skipped it, but you can add it in or sub for another leafy green if you’d prefer.
The mango pineapple salsa:
I was saving this tropical fruit salsa for later in the month but it was perfect with these tacos so I couldn’t hold out any longer. It’s a variation on pico de gallo, but I used tomatoes, shallots, cilantro, lime, garlic, loads of black pepper and of course, mango and pineapple. So light and flavourful. Spicy too if you decide to add jalapenos.
The Other Toppings and Dressings:
I’m pretty sure the dressing I used with these burrito bowls would be amazing on the tacos. But I was starving by the time I thought of that so I just topped my tacos with the salsa, some avocado, and extra lime before devouring. However, if you’ve got the time, you should definitely give the cilantro-lime avocado dressing a try.
And that’s it. Simple yet filling and flavourful vegan breakfast tacos with mango pineapple salsa for all your Cinco de Mayo, Taco Tuesday or general ‘hey, it’s morning’ breakfast needs.
Oh, and if you make these breakfast tacos, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag it #ExSlothEats on Instagram!
- ½ the recipe for my black bean tofu scramble
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1-2 tsp minced garlic
- ⅓ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup diced pineapple
- ½ cup diced mango
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- juice of ½ a lime
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and diced (optional, but recommended)
- salt & pepper to taste (heavy on the pepper)
- 4 small soft tortillas or two large ones
- extra lime and cilantro for garnish
- cilantro-lime avocado dressing (optional)
- Throw all the ingredients for the salsa into a bowl and mix well. Adjust seasoning to taste
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in the fridge while you prep the tofu scramble
- When the tofu scramble is done, warm the tortillas in a skillet over medium heat for about a minute on each side
- Transfer to a plate and top with tofu scramble, avocados, mango pineapple salsa, extra lime juice and cilantro-lime avocado dressing (if desired)
Not ready to make these tacos yet? Scroll over and pin this image for later.
What about you?
- Do you actually know what Cinco de Mayo is about?
- Do you have plans to celebrate it?
- Have you ever made vegan breakfast tacos before?
Join the conversation in the comments below!
Get Social with me on: