Ever since I made this vegan cranberry walnut pumpkin bread for #pumpkinweek2015, I’ve wanted to veganize some more of my favourite baked goods. Muffins seemed like a natural progression, but I hit a tiny snag with that one, so the recipe will have to wait a bit. But, this Vegan Apple & Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal turned out perfectly, so I decided to share it first instead.
Baked oatmeal and I have a strange relationship. I love it, like I love almost anything made with oats, because it’s super easy to whip up and is always delicious. However, that 40-45 minutes of baking time is the worst. Obviously, I’m no stranger to long baking times (see aforementioned pumpkin bread and it’s hour in the oven). But, I draw the line at waiting 45 minutes for breakfast, while starving AND being able to smell all the baked oatmeal goodness coming from the oven. It’s basically torture.
Luckily, baked oatmeal holds up really well when made ahead. So, yesterday, after having a couple of my ‘failed’ muffins for breakfast (more on that next week), I decided to tackle the gingerbread baked oatmeal recipe that had been brewing in my mind for the last year.
Okay, that may have been an exaggeration. I haven’t been dreaming up this baked oatmeal recipe since last year. But, I have been trying to figure out how best to combine apples & gingerbread ever since I randomly had apple slices with these gingerbread glazed roasted nuts. And this vegan apple & gingerbread baked oatmeal, that happens to be soft, chewy, perfectly spiced and naturally sweetened, definitely didn’t disappoint.
Vegan Apple & Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 2½ cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground flax
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 medium apple, grated (about 1 cup)
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 medium apple, sliced (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together ingredients for flax egg and set aside for about 5 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease an 8 inch round cake pan and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients until well incorporated
- In another bowl, mix together applesauce, flax egg, milk, molasses, vanilla and melted coconut oil
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated
- Fold in shredded apple and dried cranberries, if using
- Pour batter into greased cake pan and top with apple slices, if desired
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before slicing and serving
What about you?
- Are you a baked oatmeal fan? What’s your favourite baked oatmeal flavour?
- Have you ever made gingerbread baked oatmeal before?
- What’s your favourite gingerbread snack?
Share in the comments below!
This post was included in the following linkups:
More Breakfast Ideas: