This tequila spiked Mexican hot chocolate is a sweet and spicy, boozy take on regular vegan hot cocoa. It’s also paleo and gluten free friendly, only calls for 10 ingredients and can be ready in 15 minutes.
We finally got a good inch of snow over the weekend. Granted, it was mostly gone by Monday afternoon but I still took it as a sign that the holidays are officially here. And you know what that means.
It’s time for simmering holiday spices, thick socks, cozy blankets, warm nights by the
fire candle and giant mugs of tequila spiked Mexican hot chocolate.
Yes, I said tequila spiked Mexican hot chocolate.
The recipe is super simple, only calling for 10 ingredients and about 15 minutes on the stove. It’s also completely vegan and can be paleo and gluten free if you use tequila made from 100% agave.
But why Mexican hot chocolate? Well, this week’s ingredients for the Marinate competition were dark chocolate, jalapeno lime salt and walnuts.
I know, I know. Those three things don’t really scream vegan hot cocoa. But throw in some milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne and you’ve got the makings for an easy vegan Mexican hot chocolate.
The jalapeño lime salt inspired me to add some tequila into the mix. I used it to rim my margarita glasses all summer long, so it seemed fitting to booze up this recipe too.
And of course, no mug of vegan hot chocolate is complete without coconut whipped cream, chocolate sauce and for the purposes of the competition, some crushed walnuts.
When it comes to hot drinks, I tend to stick with coffee in the morning and tea at night. So I wasn’t really sure how this boozy hot chocolate would turn out. But hot damn, it gives last winter’s chai hot chocolate a run for it’s money.
It’s thick, creamy and perfectly spiced with a little extra heat from the alcohol. Not a bad way to kick off the holiday season if you ask me.
More holiday things:
- 3 cups almond milk
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 - 3 tbsp agave, more or less to taste
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cayenne, more or less to taste
- ¼ tsp jalapeno lime salt
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate powder*
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 ounces tequila, divided, more or less to taste/preference
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 dried chili or ¼ tsp chili flakes
- vegan whipped cream
- vegan chocolate sauce
- 1 tsp crushed walnuts
- Whisk together ½ cup almond milk, agave, spices, salt and cocoa powder in a small saucepan over medium high heat until cocoa is dissolved
- Whisk in remaining almond and coconut milk and add cinnamon sticks and dried chili if using
- Bring to a high simmer and heat for 5 - 10 minutes while continuing to whisk occasionally
- Stir in the vanilla and taste then adjust spices and sweetener to suit. Add more almond milk if too thick
- Strain the hot chocolate into two mugs and stir in the tequila
- Top with coconut whipped cream, vegan chocolate sauce, crushed walnuts and more jalapeno lime salt
Want more hot chocolate? Try this one: