Hey Friends! How’s it goin?
I’ve got a question for ya: What unhealthy food do you crave most often?
If we leave baked goods out of it, pizza will almost always be my answer. I’m a pizza person. If I’m craving an unhealthy meal, chances are it’s gonna be pizza. Not burgers or fries or chicken fingers. Just pizza.
Something about pizza just makes me happy. Maybe it’s the way it can be totally different every time, but somehow remain the same. Philosophical huh? 😆
Whatever the reason, pizza is one of my biggest food weaknesses. I tried to give it up altogether when I went healthy but that didn’t work out so well. So eventually, I started making ‘healthy’ pizzas. But those were just pizza toppings on a whole grain wrap. I’ve never actually attempted to make a pizza crust on my own, healthy or otherwise.
Sweet Potato Pizza Crust
I’ve seen recipes for cauliflower pizza crusts but I’ve always been skeptical because I’m not a huge cauliflower fan. But sweet potato? I love it. So when I saw a recipe for healthy sweet potato pizza, of course I had to check it out.
Then I realised that the sweet potatoes were just the base for the sauce on top of a whole wheat crust. Man was I bummed.
I tried to move on, but I just couldn’t get the idea of a sweet potato pizza crust out of my brain. So making one became my new mission.
A mission that took me almost 2 months. I didn’t mind though, because like I said: I love pizza. Trust me, eating all those sweet potato pizzas on the quest for the perfect one was no hardship at all 😀
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked
- ½ cup finely ground rolled oats or oat flour*
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water (for flax egg)**
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- In a small bowl, add water to flax (flax first), whisk and set aside for flax egg to form
- Preheat oven to 375C
- Microwave sweet potato for 5-6 minutes and scoop out the insides when fully cooked
- Add sweet potato, flax egg, ground oats and spices to food processor*** and pulse until smooth
- Move dough to a greased baking sheet and knead in coconut oil and flax seeds
- Roll out dough to desired thickness using your hands or a rolling pin
- Optional: Sprinkle some extra seasonings on top of rolled out tough
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes
- Add desired toppings and return to oven for 5 - 10 more minutes
** Can substitute for 1 large egg if you don't need/want a vegan crust
*** I used my nutribullet once instead of the food processor. The texture was a little different but you can try it in a blender if you don't have a food processor
Like I mentioned in the notes I’ve tried this recipe with eggs for a non-vegan option. It tasted pretty darn good but I preferred the slightly nutty flavour of the flax egg so I stuck with that one. But if you’re not a fan of flax, using an egg is definitely an option!
Oh, and I considered doubling the recipe the last time but my poor food
processor chooper couldn’t handle all the ingredients at once. Probably a good thing 😉
What about you?
Have you ever made your own pizza crust?
Share in the comments below!
More Mains & Apps:
Meal ideas on Pinterest