Like yesterday’s vegan pumpkin bread recipe, pumpkin spice granola was something I knew I had to make once I’d decided to take part in #pumpkinweek2015. At first, I’d planned on just adding some pumpkiny goodness to my regular granola recipe. But a nearly empty jar of rolled oats almost foiled my plans. Luckily, I had some steel cut oats left over from I don’t know when, and, after a few modifications to the original recipe, this Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Granola was born.
I know I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating: The day I figured out how to make my own granola was one of the best days of my life. I’ve been using the same base recipe for the last year or so because I honestly believe it always results in the most amazing granola ever. But, now that I’ve tasted this pumpkin spice steel cut granola, I’m kicking myself for not adding steel cut oats to my granola before.
Not only was it just as easy as making granola using rolled oats, but this batch of pumpkin spice steel cut granola was quite a bit crunchier than the usual stuff. And it formed legit clusters without me having to physically clump the oats together myself. If that’s not a sign that steel cut oats belongs in all granola recipes, I don’t know what is.
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1½ tsp pumpkin spice
- 2 tbsp walnut pieces
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ⅛ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅛ cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, pumpkin spice, nuts and seeds
- In a small bowl, mix together the coconut oil, applesauce, maple syrup and pumpkin puree
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until everything is evenly coated
- Spread the mixture evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, rotating once at the halfway mark to ensure even cooking
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. The granola will crisp up and get even more crunchy as it cools
- Store in an airtight container for up two weeks
More about #PumpkinWeek2015 October 18-23
Join 6 awesome bloggers as we share pumpkin recipes on our blogs and social media for one pumpkin-y week ending in a giant pumpkin recipe link-up on Friday!
Amanda from Diary of a Semi-Health Nut | Instagram
Suzie from Suzlyfe | Instagram
Erin from Table For Seven | Instagram
Becky from Olives n Wine | Instagram
Katie from Talk Less, Say More | Instagram
Giselle from Diary of an ExSloth | Instagram
Want to join in the fun?
Simply tag your pumpkin recipes on Instagram with #pumpkinweek2015 and/or join in the link- up on Friday! We will each be picking our favourite posts from the hashtag to share on our blogsFriday, so be sure to check each of the co-hosts’ blogs. (Please note that participating means we can share your photos—with credit—on our blogs and social media.)
What about you?
- Are you a granola lover?
- Have you had/made granola with steel cut oats before? What did you think?
Share in the comments below!
This post was included in the following linkups:
More Granola Recipes: