Even though I drink smoothies, or rather eat smoothie bowls, multiple times a week, the smoothies themselves aren’t much to write home about. I’m usually way more interested the toppings. But when I made this orange kale quinoa smoothie bowl earlier this week, I knew I had to share it on the blog.
I’m not sure if I’m alone in this, but sometimes I just don’t feel like chewing. There, I said it. You know one of my deepest, darkest secrets. Occasionally, I’ll fall into one of those food ruts where nothing sounds appetizing. Or I’ll just be too lazy to cook something elaborate and exciting. Unfortunately, I had the biggest case of the ruts when I flew back in from Trinidad this weekend.
And, to top it all off, I picked up something during the flight and I was a little under the weather. So cooking was not high on my list of fun things to do.
By the middle of the week, I just wanted something super simple that was filled with as many feel good foods as possible and didn’t leave me hungry an hour after eating. Which is where the orange kale quinoa smoothie bowl came in.
Orange Kale Quinoa Smoothie Bowl
Obviously, it’s got orange and kale in it, which both contain loads of Vitamin C and are great for fighting a cold. And I also threw in some turmeric and cinnamon for good measure. Plus, I know from experience that quinoa smoothies are hella filling. Bonus points since this orange kale quinoa smoothie bowl required little to no chewing, even after I topped it with orange slices and a little granola. #lazygirlmeals
- 2 oranges, quartered, peeled & frozen
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 handful kale
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa, chilled
- ¼ cup almond milk, cold
- ¼ of a chilled small avocado, about ¼ cup mashed*
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- orange slices
- granola (I used my coconut orange cranberry granola)
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth
- Pour into a bowl and top with orange slices and granola
Want more quinoa smoothie recipes? Try this one:
Liked this Quinoa Smoothie Recipe? Pin it for later!
What about you?
- Have you ever made a quinoa smoothie before?
- What’s your go-to ingredient to make your smoothies more filling?
- Favourite remedies for fighting the flu/cold?
Share in the comments below!
More Smoothie Recipes: