As I mentioned in my post on Wednesday, I’ve found my newest obsession in homemade coconut butter. After trying it on toast and then stuffed in dates however, I was at a loss as to what to do with the rest of it. Sure, I could continue to eat it like that, or straight from the jar, but I wanted something different. Which is where these Nut Free Coconut Date Energy Balls came in.
Balls, bites and bars have been all the rage recently but I’ve been mostly immune. Aside from these Coconut Mocha Cookie Dough Balls, I haven’t really experimented with them. I do occasionally make balls at home and my go to is a combination of peanut butter, oats, maple syrup and chocolate. If I’m feeling really wild, I’ll switch out the peanut butter for some other kind of nut or seed butter. #livingontheedge
In my defence, I much prefer baking and baked goods, especially in the winter. So, elaborate energy balls weren’t really on my radar over the last couple of months. But, now that it’s summer and I’m all about no bake/frozen snacks and desserts, I figured it was time to stretch my energy ball creativity muscles.
Since coconut butter is similar to nut butter in texture, it made sense to swap the two. Plus, coconut butter is basically just processed coconut meat or shredded coconut, so it contains a good bit of protein, fibre and other good for you nutrients. Despite that, I wanted more nutritional bang for my balls with some other mixins. But, of course, I couldn’t actually decide on what to add, so I went with a little bit of everything.
These Nut Free Coconut Date Energy Balls are dairy free, gluten free and free of refined sugars since they’re sweetened with dates. I rolled mine in more shredded coconut, ground flax seeds, hemp seeds and chia seeds, but you can customize them with whatever you have on hand. Or, skip the add ons altogether since they’re delicious on their own.
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked and drained if dry
- 1½ tbsp coconut butter, softened in the microwave
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- more coconut, ground flax, chia seeds and hemp seeds for rolling
- Pulse dates in food processor until soft and broken down
- Add coconut butter, rolled oats and shredded coconut and process until everything comes together and forms a ball
- Use your hands to form the dough into smaller balls. I made about 8, but any size is fine
- Roll balls in desired toppings and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator or freezer, or eat right away
- If storing in freezer, allow 5 minutes to defrost a little before eating
Liked this recipe? Scroll over to pin it for later!
What about you?
Are you a fan of energy balls? What’s your favourite flavour combo? Have you tried making them with coconut butter?
Share in the comments below!
Linking up with: #RecipeOfTheWeek, Menu Plan Monday, Meatless Mondays, Lena’s Tasty Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Create & Share, Retro Repin, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, #RecipeFridays, #StrangeButGood, Real Food Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Foodie Friday, Fitness Friday, Friday Favourites, Savoring Saturdays,
More quick snacks: