And just like that, it’s Sunday again. Which means it’s time for another Ice Cream Sunday recipe. Last week, I posted the recipe for these rosemary fruit popsicles but this week I wanted to go with some actual ice cream. So, today I’m sharing this no churn cherry chocolate non dairy ice cream with ya.
To be honest, I had a totally different vegan ice cream recipe planned for this week but I stumbled across a couple of cans of condensed coconut milk on Friday and couldn’t resist giving this one a try.
The idea for this no churn cherry chocolate non dairy ice cream actually comes from The Kitchn. I found this this recipe for 2 ingredient no churn ice cream using condensed milk and whipping cream and I’ve wanted to try it ever since. Of course, I can’t actually have dairy and condensed coconut milk isn’t exactly the easiest thing to find, so that one has been the back burner for a while now.
But like I said, a couple of cans of condensed coconut milk basically fell into my lap while I was wondering the aisles of Marshalls on Friday. And since I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I snapped them up and got to it.
I definitely plan to try making my own condensed coconut milk soon as I suspect it’ll be pretty easy. Probably similar to making this gingerbread coffee creamer, just without the gingerbread and with more sugar. But until then, I’ll be using the store-bought ones to help me satisfy my cravings for non dairy ice cream treats.
No Churn Cherry Chocolate Non Dairy Ice Cream
For the record, this cherry chocolate non dairy ice cream definitely satisfies those cravings. Partly because fruit + chocolate = life. But mostly because it doesn’t get icy or freeze solid right away. The last few times I’ve tried making no churn non dairy ice cream have resulted ice cream that’s yummy AF but totally off in terms of texture.
This no churn cherry chocolate non dairy ice cream however is rich, creamy and is surprisingly similar to the real thing in terms of texture and taste. It’s a tad more mouse-like, but firms up quite nicely the longer it’s in the freezer. And it gets serious bonus points since it doesn’t require an ice cream maker or churning by hand every 30 minutes.
If you make this no churn non dairy ice cream, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag me @ExSloth and #IceCreamSundays on Instagram!
- 1 - 2 7.4 oz cans of sweetened condensed coconut milk (~ ¾ - 1½ cups)*
- 2 14 oz cans full fat coconut milk or coconut cream, refrigerated overnight
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 tsp bourbon and/or vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tbsp agave nectar
- Add the condensed coconut milk to a medium sized bowl and set aside
- Scoop the coconut cream from the cans of coconut milk or cream and put it in another medium sized bowl. You should get about 2 cups of coconut cream. Discard the water or reserve for something else
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip the coconut cream until smooth and creamy
- Add the cocoa powder, bourbon and agave and whip until fully incorporated
- Whisk ½ the coconut cream mixture into the condensed coconut milk until just incorporated then gently fold in the rest followed by the chopped cherries
- Transfer the mixture to a loaf tin and freeze overnight or until solid
- If too hard, set out on the counter for 5 - 10 minutes before scooping
- Store in the freezer and use within 1 - 2 weeks
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later!
What about you?
- Have you ever no churn non dairy ice cream before? What ingredients did you use?
- What’s your favourite ice cream flavour?
Get Social with me on: