Got left over butternut squash but have no idea what to do with it? Try this easy maple coconut vegan butternut squash bread.
As someone born and bred in Trinidad, where there are really only two seasons – rainy and dry, I missed out on the joys of fall for most of my life.
We have no need for layers or boots and our food doesn’t really change with the seasons. So intrinsically ‘fall’ things like pumpkin, squash, gingerbread and the like weren’t really on my radar till I moved to Canada.
And even then, I didn’t really get all the hype till I started cooking and baking for myself. But now that I have, fall foods have become some of my favourites and I can’t stop myself from experimenting with them.
Which is how I got the idea for this maple coconut vegan butternut squash bread.
Maple Coconut Vegan Butternut Squash Bread
I’m a huge fan of banana bread and I recently tried a pumpkin loaf that rocked my world. So I decided to try my hand at making butternut squash bread with the squash I had leftover from last week’s soup. And boy am I glad I did.
Unlike the banana and pumpkin breads, this butternut squash bread has an almost cake-like consistency that I can’t get enough of. Add in the pumpkin pie spice and the maple coconut drizzle and you’ve got a combo that’s to die for. Bonus points cuz there’s no added refined sugars and you can throw this loaf together in just one bowl.
What about you?
What’s your favourite fall food? Have you ever baked with butternut squash before?
p.s. If you make this butternut squash bread, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag me @ExSloth on Instagram.
More bread recipes:
- 1.5 flax eggs (1½ tbsp ground flax + 4½ tbsp water)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ⅔ cup butternut squash puree (about 2 cups cubed squash)
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup spelt flour*
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp pumpkin spice
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup liquid coconut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Optional: 1 - 2 tbsp coconut oil to thin it out
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease loaf tin with coconut oil and set aside
- In the bottom of a large mixing bowl, mix together the ground flax and water and let sit until the mixture reaches an egg-like consistency
- Add the mashed banana, butternut squash puree, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and apple sauce and whisk until well combined
- Sift in the spelt flour, baking powder, salt and pumpkin spice and stir until just combined
- Gently fold in the chopped pecans nuts
- Pour batter into greased pan ad bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Allow the loaf to cool for 5 minutes then remove from the pan and place on a wire rack
- Cool completely before drizzling with maple coconut mixture and slicing
- Top with extra pecans if desired
- Mix together the coconut butter and maple syrup until well combined
- If mixture is too thick, thin with some warmed coconut oil
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later: