Have I ever mentioned that purple is my favourite colour? Ever since I used red cabbage in my chickpea taco buddha bowl I’ve wanted to make something else with it. Preferably where it was the star cuz it’s just so freakin beautiful. And this week I finally made it happen with this super colourful, ridiculously easy mango pineapple slaw.
I haven’t always been a mayo-lover, so I basically hated coleslaw when I was a child. Luckily, my tastes changed as I got older and I really like (vegan) mayo-based dishes now. But I still wouldn’t call coleslaw a favourite of mine.
So when I set out to make some sort of red cabbage slaw, I knew I needed to spice it up a bit. I wanted to be able to actually enjoy it in all it’s purple glory, not just tolerate it.
Since most Trinidadian or Caribbean coleslaw calls for pineapple and/or mango, I decided on mango pineapple coleslaw. But that’s where the similarities with classic Trini slaw end.
First, I skipped the regular green cabbage because I definitely don’t like cabbage enough to buy an entire head. Unless it’s purple cabbage ofc. #priorities. #logic.
I also cut down on the mayo as I find it to be very overpowering and I wanted to fruit in the pineapple slaw to shine. Ditto the onion, which I left out altogether.
Finally I switched the usual scotch bonnet pepper for a jalapeño because that’s much easier to source in Canada. But if you have scotch bonnet on hand, use it. It’ll compliment the tropical flavours in this fruity coleslaw beautifully.
Red Cabbage Mango Pineapple Slaw
If you’re a fan of a little sweet with your savoury, I know you’ll love this mango pineapple slaw. It’s colourful, flavourful, filled with phytonutrients and it super easy to throw together. Plus, it’s the perfect compliment to all your favourite summer meals (read: bbq, tacos and wraps)
I’ll definitely be putting this pineapple coleslaw on all the things from now on.
If you make this pineapple slaw, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag me @ExSloth on Instagram!
- 4 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ cup grated carrots, about 1 carrot
- 1 cup ripe pineapple, cut into chunks
- ¾ cup mango, ripe but not soft and sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 jalapeno or scotch bonnet pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo, soy free if paleo
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh pineapple juice*
- a squeeze of lime juice
- ½ - 1 tbsp sweetener of choice, more or less to taste*
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add cabbage, carrots, pineapple, mango, cilantro and pepper to a large bowl, toss to combine and set aside
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well to combine
- Taste and adjust seasoning to suit
- Slowly add mayo mixture to veggies a little at a time until desired consistency is reached. You may end up with extra dressing depending on how 'saucy' you prefer your coleslaw
- Refrigerate for at least an hour and mix again before serving
I used agave but any sweetener should work
Want more mango pineapple goodness? Try this next:
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later:
What about you?
- What’s your favourite colour?
- Have you ever had fruity coleslaw?
- What’s your favourite way to use red cabbage?