After these gingerbread baked oats last week, I may have gone on a gingerbread rampage. And now I’m in the midst of a gingerbread obsession. Almost nothing has been safe from my gingerbread experiments. Including my coffee. Which is where this Vegan Gingerbread Flavoured Homemade Coffee Creamer comes in.
I’m not stranger to doctoring my coffee. When I was younger, I’d go all out. Condensed milk, regular milk and sugar when at home. Or, flavour shots, whipped cream and chocolate drizzle when at coffee shops. But, now that I’m older, slightly healthier and dairy free, my coffee orders are a little more sedate.
These days I go for half-sweet, dairy free, anything-but-pumpkin-spice lattes (cuz PSLs are kinda gross). And when I’m at home, it’s pretty simple. I just add some cinnamon in with the coffee grounds and finish with almond milk and sweetener. Well, I used to. Before I descended into the world of homemade coffee creamer.
I actually put off trying homemade coffee creamer for a while. It wasn’t really that I thought it was hard to make. And – spoiler alert – it so isn’t. But, I was happy with my almond milk and sweetener. Why should I spend my time mixing the two beforehand? I could just as easily add them to my coffee separately, then stir.
But flavoured homemade coffee creamer? That was something I could get behind. Especially gingerbread flavoured. And a quick warning. If you’re tempted to just add molasses and ginger to your coffee, you probably shouldn’t. The one time I attempted that was a disaster. Way too much molasses.
Luckily, this gingerbread flavoured homemade coffee creamer didn’t disappoint. It’s the perfect blend of tangy and spicy, without either being too overpowering. And, it can be sweetened to your tastes. Plus, it’s also vegan and free of whatever strange additives you usually find in store bought coffee creamers.
Basically, if you’re a gingerbread-loving coffee drinker, this is homemade coffee creamer is for you.
Vegan Gingerbread Flavoured Homemade Coffee Creamer
- 1 can light coconut milk (~1½ cups)*
- 2-3 tbsp coconut sugar (more or less to taste)
- 2 tbsp molasses (more or less to taste)
- 2½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and and whisk together over low heat
- Keep whisking until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to thicken (about 5 minutes)
- Optional: strain to remove excess spices or blend using an immersion or regular blender
- Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Creamer will thicken as it cools
- Use to flavour coffee or tea
What about you?
- What’s your current stance on gingerbread?
- Do you use coffee creamer? Or are you a plain milk kinda person?
- Have you ever triedhomemade coffee creamer?
Share in the comments below!
This post was included in the following linkups:
More Gingerbread Ideas: