This tropical ginger hemp seed smoothie is easy to throw together, portable, delicious and filled with plant-based protein. Perfect on-the-go vegan breakfast.
If you follow me on IG you’d know that I love smoothie bowls with all the toppings as much as the next gal. So why is this smoothie in a glass and not a bowl?
Well, sometimes I don’t have the time, energy or desire to chew let alone create and eat an elaborate granola topped masterpiece. That’s when I reach for this ginger hemp seed smoothie, with a drizzle of coconut butter to soothe the topping fiend within.
Like my pb & berry quinoa smoothie, this one is easy to throw together, portable and delicious. And it’s filled with plant-based protein – in this case hemp instead of quinoa.
In my pre-vegan days I would just throw a scoop of protein powder into my smoothies and slurp them down. But I’ve been really enjoying finding more creative and tasty ways to get my protein fix in the mornings.
That being said, I’m not a huge fan of the taste of hemp. Usually I just bake my hemp seeds into things and never really taste them.
But with smoothies, I start off liking the flavour but after a couple sips I have to force myself to choke it down.
Luckily, the ginger and citrus in this smoothie go a long way to masking whatever it is about hemp that rubs me the wrong way.
And I even went a step further and stuffed pineapple, coconut and mango in there so this ginger hemp seed smoothie is basically summer in a glass. Which – for an island girl like me – is never a bad thing.
More easy vegan breakfasts:
- 1 banana, fresh or frozen
- 1 handful of leafy greens, I used a mix of spinach and kale
- 1 cup frozen tropical fruit, I used a mix of pineapple and mango
- 1 knob of ginger about an inch thick
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 - 2 tbsp coconut butter, plus more for drizzling
- juice of half a lime
- ¼ - ½ cup almond or coconut milk
- Add all ingredients to a blender, starting with ¼ cup milk and process until smooth
- Add more milk and continue to process until desired consistency is reached
- Pour into a glass* and top with more coconut butter and/or hemp seeds as desired
Want more hemp seed smoothies? Try this one next: