Hey Friends! How’s it goin?
If you follow me on instagram you would have seen this teaser image of my birthday brownies yesterday. I didn’t have a name for them when I posted that pic, but I’ve since dubbed them Double Chocolate Chip Coconut Brownies.
If you haven’t realised, tomorrow is my birthday. The big TWO-THREE. Okay, so 23 isn’t really a huge deal, but I’ve been having a lot of ‘f*ck, I’m old as f*ck’ moments for the last two weeks, so it’s apparently a big deal to me.
When I was planning out the idea for this post, I wasn’t sure what direction to take. Should I be sappy and reflective and share words of wisdom today? Should I take a page out of Erin‘s book and
have share a drink? Should I not mention my birthday at all?
Then I got the idea for this recipe, the decision was made. Sit back and prepare to
listen read as I wax poetic on all things brownie.
For as long as I can remember I’ve been a brownie lover. Cupcakes are good, slices of cake are better, muffins are glorious and cookies are divine. But brownies? Brownies are the food of the goods. All that rich chocolatey goodness just begging to be devoured. How could they not be my favourite?
So on this, my (almost) 23rd birthday, I decided to make all my dreams come true and have birthday brownies. And after living in a chocolate induced coma for the last 3 days I wish I had thought to ask for a double batch of brownies instead of cake for every birthday as a child. #BirthdayBrowniesFTW
Unlike my two bite brownies, these guys aren’t flourless, or vegan, nor do they contain any cocoa powder, but they are dairy-free. I started by melting chocolate chips, added in all the other important stuff and ended by mixing more chocolate chips into the batter. I love chocolate and coconut together, so I threw some coconut flakes in there too.
Then I got the crazy idea to frost them, and I found the easiest chocolate frosting recipe here. Coconut milk + chocolate chips = Unbridled awesomeness. And after all that, I topped them with more coconut flakes.
So when I called these brownies double chocolate chip coconut brownies, I lied. If you decide to frost them, they’re actually triple chocolate chip triple coconut brownies. Cue mouthgasm.
And since it is my birthday, and I should say something special about it, I wrote a poem:
Tomorrow is my birthday
I’ll no longer be twenty-two
These brownies are freaking awesome
And I hope you like them too
I’ll admit, that wasn’t my best work, so I probably shouldn’t quit my day job. At least I’ve got dairy-free, cakey, double chocolate chip coconut brownies…
- ¾ cup chocolate chips + ⅓ cup for mixing in
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes + extra for topping
- Optional: ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1¼ cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350, grease or line muffin tins and set aside
- Heat ¾ cup chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave, stirring at 25 second intervals, until fully melted
- Stir in maple syrup and vanilla
- Beat in eggs and mix well
- Add in whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt and mix until just incorporated
- Fold in remaining chocolate chips, coconut and nuts
- Spoon batter evenly into 12 muffin tins, each about ⅔ full, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Leave muffins in tin for about 5 minutes before removing
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting and sprinkling with more coconut flakes
- Scoop out only the solid white coconut cream from the chilled can of coconut milk and place it in a to a pot.
- Add the chocolate chips to the pot and heat on low heat, stirring frequently, until the coconut cream and the chocolate chips melt
- Transfer into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or until it firms up enough to whip into frosting
- When it’s firmed enough to your liking, whip with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy
Looking for more chocolatey goodness? Try one of these:
What about you?
What’s your favourite baked good? Birthday Brownies or Birthday Cake? Can you give me poetry lessons?
Share in the comments below!