Hey Friends! How’s it goin?
Since I didn’t post a recipe – or anything food related – on Wednesday, I’m back today with a something new for you. Unlike the trend I set for most of November, this is also NOT a dessert or snack recipe. Yep, something savoury for ya: Dairy-Free Inside Out Loaded Potato Poppers.
As I mentioned in my last post, it’s been a while since I had time to blog- and the same goes for cooking and baking. My soul has honestly been crying out for some uninterrupted baking time. In fact, those 30 minutes I spent in the kitchen last Tuesday perfecting the Gingerbread Spiced Roasted Nuts were probably the highlight of December for me so far.
I’ve had this recipe knocking around in my brain since my friends over at the Little Potato Company sent me these creamer potatoes late last month. But, like I said, time wasn’t something that I had a lot of and for some reason, I thought this would be a lot harder than it actually was. Luckily, these inside out loaded potato poppers don’t take a lot of effort at all. Definitely a good thing, but I still feel kind of bummed cuz I could have been enjoying these beauties for the last month…
Back when I was a cheese eater, loaded potatoes were one of my favourite meals. I haven’t had one since before my elimination diet, so as soon as I saw these potatoes I knew that’s what I wanted to make. Butttt, these are itty bitty potatoes and I had visions of massacring them in an attempt to scoop out the insides. So, I decided to improvise.
Instead of loading the insides of the potatoes with the usual loaded potato goodies- cheese, bacon and chives- I decided to load up the outside of my creamer potatoes.
I started off by wrapping them in turkey bacon- using toothpicks to hold it together- then baking in the oven for about half an hour. They were pretty damn good on their own, but I’ve been meaning to make a dairy-free ‘cheese’ sauce for the last two months so I used 5 of those 30 minutes of oven time to whip one up. Yep. It was that easy.
All in all, these diary-free inside out loaded potato poppers are crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside with a little extra spiciness from the ‘cheese’ sauce topping. Plus, they’re easy to make, so they’re perfect for last minute dinners and potlucks. Seriously, I got these ready while my roommates showered after the gym last night and they swear it was the best post workout dinner ever. Mission accomplished.
- 12 creamer potatoes - I used a mix of The Little Potato Company's Something Blue and Fingerlings)
- 12 slices of turkey bacon
- For the Dairy-Free 'Cheese' Sauce:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Optional Toppings: salsa, diced jalapeños and chives
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside
- Wrap each creamer potato with a slice of turkey bacon, using a toothpick to hold it all together
- Place the bacon wrapped potatoes on the baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a toothpick
- While the potatoes are in the oven, whisk together the 'cheese' sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan
- Bring the mixture to a boil and continue whisking until it thickens
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and top with 'cheese' sauce, diced jalapeños, chives and salsa
- Use any extra 'cheese' sauce for dipping
Ideas for Appetizers, Sides + Mains:
More Easy Dinner Recipes:
What about you?
What’s your favourite way to eat potatoes? Have you ever made your own dairy-free ‘cheese’ sauce? What’s your go to quick appetizer for potlucks or dinner?
Share in the comments below!
Disclaimer: I was provided with free samples of The Little Potato Company’s creamer potatoes, but, as always all opinions are my own.