These coconut chai quinoa breakfast bars are vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, filled with plant-based protein make a great grab-and-go vegan breakfast.
When I was in school or working a regular 9-5, I would prep my meals on the weekend. But now that I spend my days at home, I have a habit of just cooking whenever I get hungry.
There’s nothing really wrong with that but cooking three meals a day takes up a lot of time. And I could be using that time to work on different projects.
So one of my goals for this year was to get back into the habit of prepping meals in advance. And these coconut chai quinoa breakfast bars are my current make-ahead vegan breakfast obsession.
The base of the breakfast bars is pretty similar to these quinoa oat bars I shared a few years ago. However, this version is a little more suitable for breakfast than the original chocolate-filled one.
The recipe is fairly simple and calls for 10 ingredients you probably already have on hand, plus a few optional mix-ins, like shredded coconut and chocolate chips. I also drizzled mine with coconut butter since I can’t breathe without a good drizzle. But that part’s up to you.
I like to make these quinoa breakfast bars on the weekend then store them in the fridge. Sometimes I have them cold and other times I’ll pop them in the microwave for a few seconds. Either way, they’re really, really good.
The combination of coconut and chai is to die for and I really love the texture – fluffy, with a hint of chewiness. Plus, I like that they satisfy my sweet tooth without being overly sweet since I cut down on the maple syrup and used applesauce as the main sweetener.
These breakfast bars are also gluten-free, refined sugar-free, filled with plant-based protein and can be made nut-free depending on the mix-ins you use. Can you say vegan breakfast of champions?
More grab-and-go vegan breakfasts:
- 1½ cups quick cooking oats
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp ground flax
- 2 - 3 tsp chai spice, more or less to taste
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup coconut butter, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- ½ cup mix ins of choice (e.g. shredded coconut, chocolate chips, nuts, seeds etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350F, line an 8x8 cake tin with parchment paper and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients
- Add the coconut butter, maple syrup and applesauce and mix until well combined
- Pour in the almond milk and continue to mix
- Fold in the mix ins
- Pour the batter into prepared baking dish and top with extra mix ins, if desired
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the edges are beginning to brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Allow to cool 5 minutes in the baking dish, then remove and transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before slicing
- Drizzle with extra coconut butter, if desired
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week
Want more quinoa? Try this quinoa porridge: