If February is all about red and Valentine’s Day, then March is all about the green and St. Patrick’s Day. However, unlike St. Valentine’s Day, I’m really not 100% sure what St. Patrick’s Day is all about. But, I do know that green food is one of the requirements, which is why I’m sharing this Chocolate Mint Avocado Pudding Parfait with you today.
Given the fact that we have 1.5 trillion public holidays in Trinidad, it’s really surprising that we don’t celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at home. Especially since it has all the earmarks of a classic Trinidadian holiday i.e. costumes, alcohol and drunken revelry. But for some reason, we just ignore it.
Obviously, I didn’t let that stop me in my first few years of university. So, March 17th of 2011, 2012 and 2013 are all just hazy recollections of bar hopping and green beer. Oh, and all the green cupcakes, cookies and candies. Unfortunately, there was no chocolate mint avocado pudding in my life in those days.
I’ve toned down my partying quite a bit since 2013. In 2014 I was knee deep in ‘clean eating’ and going all out on St. Patrick’s Day just part of my life plan. Then in 2015, I had a midterm on the 18th, so the usual festivities weren’t an option. However, I did manage to ‘celebrate’ with these gluten-free spinach crepes.
I had vague thoughts of resurrecting my much cooler past self this year. But, as much as I hate to admit it, I’m getting older and lamer and I highly doubt I’ll be living it up on the streets of Waterloo come St. Patrick’s Day. Honestly, the highlight of my month will probably be coming up with more yummy green foods once I’ve devoured this chocolate mint avocado pudding.
Chocolate Mint Avocado Pudding Parfait
Avocado pudding definitely isn’t a new concept, especially when it involves chocolate. But I wanted to share the recipe for this chocolate mint avocado pudding for a few reasons. First, it’s tasty AF since it boasts that classic mint chocolate combo that everyone loves. Second, it takes all of 20 minutes to pull together so you won’t miss much of the festivities. It’s also ridiculously easy to make so even if you get a head start on the drunken revelry, you could probably still pull it off.
And finally, arguably the most important reason, avocado. Any day involving all the green things needs to include avocado. Obvs.
- 1 avocado, preferably refrigerated
- ¼ cup cold almond milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup (more or less to taste)
- 1-2 drops pure mint extract
- 1 avocado, preferably refrigerated
- 6 tbsp cold almond milk
- 6-7 tbsp maple syrup (more or less to taste)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- vanilla extract (optional)
- Add the ingredients for the mint layer to the bowl of a small food processor and process until smooth
- Transfer the mint avocado pudding to a bowl and set aside
- Add the ingredients for the chocolate later to the bowl of a clean food processor and blend until smooth
- Transfer the chocolate avocado pudding to a bowl and set aside
- Spoon some of either pudding into the bottom of two glasses and tap to settle
- Top with equal amounts of the other flavour and tap to settle
- Continue alternating between chocolate and mint layers until the glasses are full or the pudding runs out
- If serving immediately, top with a sprinkle of cocoa powder, shaved chocolate, pumpkin seeds or pistachios
- Otherwise, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate (for up to 24 hours) until ready to eat
Want more healthy chocolate desserts? Try this one:
Liked this mint avocado pudding parfait? Pin it for later
What about you?
- Do you have any idea what St. Patrick’s Day is actually about?
- How do you celebrate it?
- Have you ever made mint avocado pudding before? Or do you stick with the chocolate?
Share in the comments below!