These BBQ chickpea lettuce wraps with vegan ranch dressing are bursting with sweet and smokey bbq flavour and are great for light and easy vegan lunches.
With the holiday season over, I know a lot of people will be trading in cookies and other desserts for salads and smoothies. Normally, I try to stay clear of new year ‘detoxes’ or diets but I think I need both after all the indulging I did over the holidays.
Luckily, I’ve got these bbq chickpea lettuce wraps with vegan ranch dressing to help me get back on track.
If you’ve ever taken a look at my recipe index, you’d know that I love my bread and baked desserts. Flour was my first love and it will always have the number one spot in my heart.
So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that I’ve never made or eaten lettuce wraps before. Just the idea of switching out tortillas for lettuce seemed borderline blasphemous. I mean, I don’t even really like salads. Why would I want to eat glorified salads masquerading as chickpea lettuce wraps?
But I currently have about 10 pounds of black cake, tea rings and cocktails taking up residence in my hips. So I think it’s time to get over my distaste for lettuce and try my hand at making vegan lettuce wraps.
The recipe for these is fairly simple and only takes about 30 minutes. I caramelized some onions and pineapple for the bbq chickpea filling but that’s totally optional. Skipping that step should cut the cooking time in half, which is always nice.
I also went with an easy cashew-based vegan ranch dressing but plain vegan mayo or sour cream could work in a pinch.
Turns out these bbq chickpea lettuce wraps are ridiculously flavourful and surprisingly filling. I actually didn’t miss the tortillas all that much which is crazy given my aforementioned love of bread.
I’ve got a tonne of lettuce leftover and I’m actually looking forward to making more wraps. However, the filling is only enough for about 6 of these bbq chickpea lettuce wraps so I’m thinking kale pesto tofu lettuce wraps may be in my near future. Or maybe pumpkin falafel lettuce wraps? Or even wild rice burrito wraps?
So man possibilites 😍
More chickpea recipes:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ a yellow onion, thinly sliced
- a pinch of salt
- ½ a sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup pineapple chunks (optional)
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup bbq sauce
- cilantro, to taste (optional)
- 6 - 8 lettuce leaves, butter and romain lettuce work well
- cherry tomatoes
- vegan ranch
- ¼ - ⅓ cup almond milk + ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup cashews, soaked overnight (about ⅔ cup soaked cashews)
- 2 - 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives or green onion
- ½ tsp each dried parsley and dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside
- Add remaining ingredients, except the herbs to a food processor or high powered blender and process until smooth
- Add ½ the milk and vinegar mixture and continue to process until desired consistency is reached
- Whisk in the fresh and dried herbs, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary
- Refrigerate until ready to use
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat then add the onions and salt and saute 5 - 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize. Add a splash of water and saute for another 2 - 3 minutes
- Stir in the sweet pepper and pineapple and continue to saute for another 3 - 4 minutes
- Add the chickpeas, bbq sauce and cilantro and stir until everything is evenly coated then allow to cook for 5 - 10 minutes until the chickpeas are tender and the sauce thickens. Add water, stock or more bbq sauce as necessary
- Fill each lettuce wrap with about ¼ - ⅓ cup chickpea filling
- Top with tomatoes, avocado and vegan ranch
- Serve immediately
Don’t want to skip the bread? Try this open-faced chickpea salad sandwich: