When I first went dairy free, I actually contemplated living with the stomach pains instead of giving up pizza. Luckily, it didn’t have to come to that. Because it turns out that cheese-less pizza is its own kind of awesome and this Thin Crust BBQ Jackfruit Pizza is no exception.
I became obsessed with jackfruit after trying it for the first time last summer. Then, I basically spent the last year trying (and failing) to find a use for canned jackfruit that wasn’t the classic BBQ jackfruit sandwich. But as soon as I read this month’s Recipe Redux theme, I got the idea for this BBQ jackfruit pizza.
The theme: A Vacation-Inspired Recipe.
Every summer my entire family would take a quick trip to Tobago and we’d spend a week living on the beach and eating all the food. But there’s one dish in particular that I always remember when I think of Tobago. Oddly enough, it isn’t crab and dumpling or pelau; it’s BBQ chicken pizza.
Unlike the other meals we ate while in Tobago, that pizza was a rare treat. There’s an authentic pizza parlour in Tobago that we’d only get to eat at once a trip, if we were lucky. Despite that, or maybe because of it, that pizza made a lasting impression.
But since I’ll probably never have it again, I decided to put my own spin on it with this BBQ jackfruit pizza.
Thin Crust BBQ Jackfruit Pizza
As with my previous pizza recipes where I used pitas, tortillas and veggies in lieu of an actual pizza crust, I skipped the traditional crust and used lavish bread instead. It may not be authentic, but it makes this bbq jackfruit pizza ridiculously easy to throw together.
All you need is 40 minutes and you’ve got a delicious thin crust bbq jackfruit pizza that’s easy to make, bursting with flavour and completely satisfying. Bonus points if you prep the jackfruit ahead of time and can throw this together in under 15.
If you make this bbq jackfruit pizza, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag it @ExSloth on Instagram!
- 1 can young green jackfruit, drained, rinsed and cores removed
- ½ tsp coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup bbq sauce
- lavish bread
- bbq sauce
- Optional toppings: green peppers, kale, pineapple. basil leaves, nutritional yeast
- In a medium bowl, combine the jackfruit, coconut sugar and spices and mix until evenly coated
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the seasoned jackfruit once the pot it hot
- Cook for about 4 - 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the jackfruit begins to get some colour
- Add the bbq sauce and enough water to make a sauce, stirring well
- Reduce the heat and allow to cook for 20 - 30 minutes (the more time the deeper the flavour)
- Store any leftover jackfruit in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 375F, line a baking sheet with parchement paper and set aside
- Spread bbq sauce on the lavish bread, leaving about ½ inch of space around the edges
- Top with desired toppings (except nutritional yeast) and bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until the edges of the lavish bread begin to brown
- Remove from the oven, slice, sprinkle with nutritional yeast and devour
- Best when served immediately
Want more easy vegan pizza recipes? Try this one:
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later:
WHAT ABOUT YOU?
- What’s your most memorable vacation meal/food?
- Have you ever had bbq jackfruit before? How, when and/or where?