After taking an unscheduled break from all things ice cream last weekend, we’re back with another #IceCreamSundays special. And although I’m pretty sure I say this every week, this recipe is probably my favourite so far. Why? Five words: Vegan S’mores Ice Cream Cupcakes.
Before we get into the epicness that are these vegan s’more ice cream cupcakes, can we take a second to chat about the downsides of this little ice cream Sundays project of mine?
I know what you’re thinking. There can’t possibly be any cons to doing this series. And ordinarily, I’d agree with you. If I wasn’t currently running out of freezer space.
The popsicles are all gone, thankfully, but I’ve still got half a pint of cherry chocolate ice cream, a plethora of frozen bananas and literal blocks of frozen nice cream hanging out in my freezer.
Oh, and if you were wondering, the fridge itself isn’t safe either because I have like 10 cans of coconut milk chilling in there at any given point in time.
Send. Help. I’ll be the one sobbing into a full freezer while trying to cram these vegan s’mores ice cream cupcakes in there.
Annnndddd, now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, let’s get into the recipe.
Vegan S’mores Ice Cream Cupcakes
With BBQ season in full swing and my IG feed blowing up with s’mores
like because of the 4th of July, I figured it was high time I tried my hand at some vegan s’mores action. And naturally, I decided to go with vegan s’mores ice cream cupcakes.
There are 3 parts to this recipe:
First, the brownie/cupcake layer: I used my two-bite brownies but you should be able to use any brownie or chocolate cake recipe here. A no-bake one would probably work really well.
Next, the marshmallow fluff: I got the idea for this from Alexa over at Fooduzzi. She shared a vegan s’mores recipe last week and replaced marshmallows with vegan marshmallow fluff made from aquafaba a.k.a the liquid in a can of chickpeas. Sounds strange, I know. But although it takes some elbow grease, that ish really works.
And finally, the vegan s’mores ice cream: I used my basic no-churn vegan ice cream recipe here but I added in marshmallow fluff, graham crackers and chocolate chips instead of cocoa powder and cherries.
Now, you just have to assemble the ice cream cupcakes, freeze to set and top with melted chocolate, extra marshmallow fluff and graham cracker pieces.
These melt fairly quickly, so you have to eat them fast. But that’s a small price to pay for vegan s’mores ice cream cupcakes that are decadently sweet, perfectly chocolatey and studded with crunchy graham crackers. Bonus points cuz they don’t require store-bought vegan marshmallows or a campfire.
Something tells me I’ll be clearing up that freezer space rullll soon.
If you make these vegan s’mores ice cream cupcakes, I’d love to hear what you think after trying it. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag me @ExSloth on Instagram!
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup graham cracker pieces
- ¼ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- liquid from 1 can of chickpeas, about ½ cup
- ¼ cup agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 7.4 oz can of sweetened condensed coconut milk (~ ¾ cups)
- 1 - 2 14 oz can of full fat coconut milk or coconut cream, refrigerated overnight (you need 1 cup coconut cream)
- ½ cup vegan marshmallow fluff
- Optional: 1 tsp bourbon
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup graham cracker pieces
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk for 10 - 15 minutes using an electric hand or stand mixer
- The fluff takes a while to come together but you'll know it's ready when it thickens and becomes glossy
- Add the condensed coconut milk to a medium sized bowl and set aside
- Scoop 1 cup coconut cream from the cans of coconut milk or cream and put it in another medium sized bowl. Discard the water or reserve for something else
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip the cream until smooth and creamy
- Add the marshmallow fluff and bourbon and whip until fully incorporated
- Whisk ½ the coconut cream mixture into the condensed coconut milk until just incorporated then gently fold in the rest followed by the chocolate chips and graham cracher pieces
- Pour the mixture to a loaf pan lined with parchment paper and transfer to the freezer overnight or until solid***
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a muffin tin with silicone liners**** and set aside
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine ground flax and water and set aside for 5 minutes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together first 5 ingredients, on at a time, in the order listed.
- Fold in peanut butter and graham cracker pieces
- Spoon 1 - 1½ tbsp batter into each silicone liner and smooth the tops with a spoon or your fingertips
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Set aside on a wire rack and allow to cool completely
- Remove the s'mores ice cream from the freezer and allow to thaw for about 10 - 15 minutes
- Spread ice cream on top of each brownie/cupcake and transfer the muffin tin to the freezer for 2 - 3 hours
- Once the cupcakes have set, remove from the freezer and top with melted chocolate chips, graham cracker pieces and marshmallow fluff
**The marshmallow fluff will separate if left to stand for too long so use immediately after making. You can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and rewhip whenever you need more.
***I made my s'mores ice cream the night before making the cupcakes but you're pressed for time you can prep the ice cream base while the cupcakes are in the oven and store in the fridge while you wait for the cupcakes to cool. Then top each cupcake with the liquid ice cream base and freeze until solid. Just note that it will take a bit longer to set.
****I highly recommend using silicone liners as the ice cream can stick to the paper ones while freezing
Want more ice cream treats? Try this one:
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later:
WHAT ABOUT YOU?
- Have you ever used aquafaba before? In what?
- What’s your favourite s’mores flavoured treat?
Get Social with me on:
Facebook – Diary of an Ex-Sloth
Twitter – @ExSloth
Pinterest – @ExSloth
Instagram – @ExSloth
Google+ – +GiselleRochford
Bloglovin – Diary of an ExSloth
This dessert is seriously like all the summer treats in one! Girl, I never have any freezer space, haha XD. But, I’d make freezer space for these! I need to try using aquafaba, I’ve been to nervous to try using it before.
Meah recently posted…20 Relateable Truths of a Runner Fitness Friday #3
Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says
I really wish I could take some of those desserts off your hands…they all sound amazing! These ice cream cupcakes look great! I want to do more baking and this is inspiring! And I’ve pinned this recipe!
Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…Philly Marathon Pre-Training Week 4 Recap
GiGi Eats says
AND MY EYES just punched me in the face because they WANT TO “eat” THESE!!!!
GiGi Eats recently posted…Chinese Take Out, Made In
I hVe to try this chickpea meringue thing!! So interesting!
Abbey recently posted…Weight Loss Multi-Level Marketing Schemes | How to Spot & Avoid
OH MY!!! Liquid from chickpeas?? I had heard something about that but had never seen it used!! Definitely going to be checking this out!!
Mikki recently posted…Allergy Friendly Fruity Muffins With Enjoy Life Foods
those look amazing! seriously amazing! i want some NOW! thanks for sharing!
glenneth recently posted…Superman Challenge by Move It Monday
Chrissy @ Snacking in Sneakers says
I LOVE this recipe! I had to give up dairy/soy/eggs last year when I was nursing my son who had food intolerences, and I stumbled upon aquafaba last summer. It is such an amazing hack! I’ve used it for baking, to make vegan mayo, and to make dressings.
Chrissy @ Snacking in Sneakers recently posted…6 Healthy Frappuccino Recipes to Keep You Cool This Summer
Melissa @ Mango About Town says
HELLO! I have all of these extra graham crackers from camping smores leftover and now I know what to do with them!
Melissa @ Mango About Town recently posted…Jonathan’s Farm CSA – Week 2
You legit had me at s’mores.
Natalie @ A Fit Philosophy says
Mouth. Watering!!!!!!!!!! I am totally making these with gluten free graham crackers! I love that cupcakes are single-serving! These look wayyyyyy too good for me to have any control if it were in a big bucket 🙂 YUM!
Christina Bauer says
OHMYGOD. These are incredible!!! I’ll take a half dozen, please 🙂
Christina Bauer recently posted…30 Minute Meals with Cheese
Kayla @ Blondes Have More Run says
Holy moly, these sound delicious! You are a genius!
Kayla @ Blondes Have More Run recently posted…8 Tips to Stay Fit at the Beach
This looks seriously sinful without the guilt! I love it. It looks good enough for guests too.
This looks so good. I haven’t done a lot of baking this summer (it’s so HOT!) but I am tucking this away for when the weather cools off a little bit.
Angela @marathonsandmotivation.com says
These look amazing! I can’t wait to try them, the kids will love them!!! 🙂
Angela @marathonsandmotivation.com recently posted…Triple Berry Shortcake
can i PLEASE come over and share this with you?!
Nicole recently posted…Figure Out What You’re Best At with Arriane Alexander
kerri mcgrail says
Woahh baby give me some of that! I am not one to typically love smores to begin with but I don’t think I would be able to stop at just one of these!