If you follow me on Instagram, you’d know that I was trying to perfect a recipe for oatmeal cookie bars this week. Unfortunately, it hasn’t happened yet. But during my recipe testing, I stumbled across something amazing that needed to be shared: Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars. Tomorrow will officially make it three years since I started Diary of an ExSloth and these oatmeal chocolate chip bars are the perfect way to celebrate.
When I first started blogging, I was just getting into fitness and healthy eating and I was also living in a new city with only one friend. I was bored and basically friendless and somehow I just fell into blogging. I was not one of those people who went into blogging hoping to make a living from it. And at this point, I still don’t. I just wanted to meet like-minded people and share healthy living tips with them.
Somewhere along the way, things changed. I started talking less about fitness and more about food. I started taking food photos, sharing recipes and even doing DIYs, which are all things I love. But I also started worrying more about stats and SEO and less about why I started ExSloth in the first place. And part of that worrying has made me want to stop being all over the place and share content in a specific niche.
What does this have to do with these oatmeal chocolate chip bars? Well, like I said, they were born out of my desire for oatmeal cookie bars. The original recipe was okay, but I kept poking at it. Tweaking something here, substituting something there. Until in the end, they weren’t even recognizable as cookie bars. And because of that, I almost scrapped this one and went back to the drawing board.
But then I stopped and thought. These aren’t cookie bars. I know that. They actually remind me of a cross between baked oatmeal and these quinoa oat bars. Soft and chewy and full of oatmealy goodness. Plus, they aren’t ridiculously sweet since I used dark chocolate chips. So what if they turned out to be plain old oatmeal chocolate chip bars? They’re freakin amazing in their own right and I shouldn’t ignore that.
And that’s the lesson I decided to take from my 3rd year of blogging.
So what if I don’t have a food blog, or a fitness blog or a blog with an some other easily identifiable niche? In my quest for the ‘perfect’ blog, I ended up creating something awesome and I need to remember that. Maybe one day I’ll find that having a more ‘niched’ blog is for me, but for now, I’m happy where I am.
So yea. These Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars were really just one long metaphor about my blog. Good thing they’re also yummy AF.
Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, soft but not melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup spelt flour
- 1½ cups quick cooking oats
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips + more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8x8 pan and set aside
- Combine the ground flax and water in a small bowl and allow to sit until an egg-like consistency is reached
- In a large bowl, beat together the coconut sugar and oil until frothy (about 3 - 5 minutes), then beat in the flax egg and vanilla
- Whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until will combined, but don't overmix
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into the greased baking pan and top with more chocolate chips if desired
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
Liked this recipe? Pin it!
What about you?
- Have you ever ended up making something you love (like these oatmeal chocolate chip bars) by accident? What?
- Are you a blogger? Did you always think you’d blog about what you do now?
Share in the comments below!
p.s. Which types of posts are your favourite on Diary of an ExSloth? Recipes? Healthy Eating? DIY? Healthy Living? Would love your feedback!
More Oatmeal Recipes: