I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: breakfast and dessert are my favourite times of the day. However, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how much fun I’ve had experimenting with cooking and not just baking. And on that note, today I wanted to share my newest find/creation with you: Vegan Fried Quinoa with BBQ Sriracha Tofu.
If you follow me in Instagram, you may have seen me post something similar to this meal a couple days ago. But, instead of vegan fried quinoa, that one was vegan fried rice. I had all intentions of sharing the fried rice version today. But when I was pulling out ingredients to make a batch specifically for photos yesterday, I realised I had no leftover rice.
Fried rice is best, in my opinion, when you use cold/day-old rice, sort of like french toast but…not. The cold rice holds the flavour better somehow and the rice also doesn’t get mushy from the immediate double cooking. My only solution was to use the day-old quinoa I had in the fridge. I was a little reluctant because I’d made not-vegan fried quinoa before which unfortunately turned into a soupy, eggy mess. Not appetising at all.
Vegan Fried Quinoa with BBQ Sriracha Tofu
But since I didn’t plan to include eggs, this time, I decided to give the quinoa a try. Plus, I really didn’t have anything to lose at that point. Luckily, the stars aligned and my experiments resulted in the most flavourful vegan fried quinoa. Seriously, it may have actually surpassed the original for me.
Now that we’ve covered the vegan fried quinoa portion of the meal, let’s talk about the BBQ sriracha tofu.
When most people think fried rice or, in this case, fried quinoa, they usually associate it with Asian food. However, in Trinidad, vegan fried rice is a staple at BBQs. So when I was trying to decide what to serve with the fried quinoa, I immediately started craving bbq. And the bbq sriracha tofu was born.
The marinade/sauce is simple and only calls for 3 ingredients, but it packs quite the tangy-sweet flavour punch. And when combined with the vegan fried quinoa, you’re left with a delicious, veggie-filled plant-based meal that’s guaranteed to have you craving more, or at the very least, licking your plate.
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1½ tbsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- ½ block (~175g) extra firm tofu, drained, dried and cubed
- 1-2 tsp mildly flavoured oil (e.g. peanut or canola oil)
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cup
frozenpeas, carrots and corn, defrosted
- 1⅓ cups cold cooked quinoa
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2½ tsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk together to bbq sauce, sriracha and tamari
- Add the cubed tofu to the mixture and stir until well coated*
- Transfer the coated tofu to the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until slightly crispy
- While the tofu is in the oven, heat a small wok or frying pan over medium heat
- Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the heated pan and saute the ginger and pepper flakes until fragrant
- Add the defrosted peas, carrots and corn and saute for another minute
- Add in the quinoa and stir fry until it is sufficiently warmed all the way through (about 2-3 minutes)
- Drizzle the tamari or soy sauce over the quinoa and continue to stir fry for another minute until everything is evenly coated
- Remove from heat and serve with BBQ sriracha tofu and more tamari and pepper flakes if desired
Loved this recipe? Don’t forget to pin for later!
What about you?
- Have you made vegan fried quinoa before? Or did you #putaneggonit?
- What’s your favourite thing to eat with fried quinoa/rice?
Share in the comments below!
Get Social with me on:
Facebook – Diary of an Ex-Sloth
Twitter – @ExSloth
Pinterest – @ExSloth
Instagram – @ExSloth
Google+ – +GiselleRochford
Bloglovin – Diary of an ExSloth
Follow GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth’s board Diary of an ExSloth on Pinterest.
Erin @ The Almond Eater says
BBQ sriracha tofu?!! Dannnnnng that sounds good. I’m also more of a breakfast-recipe person, but having a handful of go-to dinner recipes is pretty useful I must say.
Giselle Rochford says
SAME! If I didn’t have easy go-to meals like this one I’d probably eat oatmeal for every meal lol
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub says
Oh my goodness this looks SO good. I cannot wait to make this.
Giselle Rochford says
Thanks Jen! Let me know what you think if you try it 😀
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine says
Fried rice was always a must when we got chinese take-out back in the day! When I still could eat soy, I made this killer quinoa tofu stirfry kinda thing. Always delish!
Wow!! This sounds and looks amazing! What a fun mix of flavors! Great recipe! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Alysia at Slim Sanity says
Yum! I’ve never tried fried quinoa. But stir fry chicken is my favorite pair for fried rice 🙂
Les @ The Balanced Berry says
Have I ever told you about my crazy weakness for tofu? This recipe is speaking to my soul. I mean…sriracha + BBQ sauce + tofu is like a holy flavor trinity. Pinned this because I’ll be trying it for sure!
Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…Lean Green Vanilla Bean Steel Cut Oatmeal
Emilie @ Emilie Eats says
YASSSS everything about this is giving me so much life right now. The quinoa…the tofu…I can’t (wait to devour this).
Alexa [fooduzzi.com] says
So, I’m not a huge tofu fan…but if you add Sriracha to pretty much anything, I’m set. This sounds INCREDIBLE, Giselle! Must must must give it a try!
Alexa [fooduzzi.com] recently posted…Thai Zucchini Noodle Bowls
Jess @hellotofit says
I have sautéed and fried tofu, but haven’t yet baked it in the oven! Love that you combined all of those ingredients to make a yummy fried quinoa dish.
Sam @ PancakeWarriors says
I love everything about this!! The fried quinoa – yum!! The BBQ sriracha tofu – yum! The combo = omg gimmy gimmy gimmy!! Pinning!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen says
This sounds SO flavorful!! Yum 🙂