These everything vegan breakfast cookies are thick, chewy and filled with breakfast friendly add-ins like carrots, coconut and hemp seeds. Perfect for a vegan breakfast on the go.
Breakfast cookies aren’t exactly a new thing. In fact, I made chocolate breakfast cookies while home in Trinidad a few years ago and they were a big hit with my family.
I haven’t made them since but when I was brainstorming more make-ahead breakfasts last weekend, these everything vegan breakfast cookies were a no-brainer.
To be honest, I’m usually much more interested in elaborate breakfasts than breakfasts I can eat on the go. But since I started my new job last month, my attitude towards food has changed quite a bit.
In my work from home days, a meal was only as good as it’s Instagrammability and I’d spend way too much time making sure everything looked just right before snapping a pic.
Now that I eat the majority of my meals from my desk, however, IG worthy meals aren’t really a priority. These days, I’m all about quick and easy food that’s portable and will last for about a week.
And these everything vegan breakfast cookies fit the bill perfectly.
The ingredient list is a little long but the recipe for these cookies is pretty simple and it all comes together in about 30 minutes.
For the mix-ins, I went with carrots, coconut, walnuts, hemp seeds, cranberries and a handful of chocolate chips – hence the name everything vegan breakfast cookies. But don’t feel like you need to copy my madness.
As long as you have around a cup of add-ins, your breakfast cookies should be just fine.
More make-ahead vegan breakfasts:
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- ¼ cup agave
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup spelt flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp raisins or cranberries
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- Combine flax and water in the bottom of a mixing bowl and set aside for 3-5 mins until an egg-like consistency is reached
- Add agave, applesauce, peanut butter and vanilla to the flax egg and whisk together until well combined
- Add spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well
- Fold in oats and add-ins until just incorporated and place in the freezer for 10 - 15 minutes while the oven preheats*
- Preheat oven to 375F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Once oven is preheated, spoon out about 2 tbsp of dough, roll into a ball and place onto the prepared cookie sheet, flattening slightly with your fingertips
- Continue until all the dough is gone, being sure to place the cookies about 2 inches apart to allow for spreading
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are beginning to brown
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and allow to cool slightly before eating
- If saving for later, allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days
Looking for more decadent cookies? Try these double chocolate cookies ones: