Do you remember the days when I only shared sweet recipes? When savoury recipes appearing on the blog was cause for a celebration? Or at least a moment of silence? And look at me now sharing my second savoury recipe of the week: lima bean sweet potato toast.
Get Your Fruits and Veggies in Shape
With produce galore, now’s a great time to enjoy lots of fruits and vegetables. Show us how you’re serving the bounty of gardens and orchards in shapes like ribbons, noodles, cut-outs, or other creative cuts.
I mean, can you think of a more creative way to cut your fruits and veggies than in a ‘toast’ shape? Didn’t think so.
I was originally just going to do a basic avocado sweet potato toast for this recipe but the end result was a little too similar to Tuesday’s strawberry balsamic guac. What can I say? I’m obsessed with that strawbs/balsamic combo.
So I put on my thinking cap and eventually came up with the idea for this lima bean sweet potato toast.
Lime Bean Sweet Potato Toast
There are three parts to this recipe.
First, the lima bean spread which is pretty similar to this chickpea salad, just with way less mixins.
Then, the (optional) toppings. I wanted to add some differently shaped veggies into the mix as a nod to this month’s theme. So, I went with a few radish rounds and zucchini ribbons/sticks but spiralized veggies would also look amazing.
And finally, the sweet potato toast which is easy as slicing the sweet potatoes and toasting until cooked through.
And that’s it. Minimal ingredients, 20 minutes and a couple appliances and you’ve got the ultimate savoury lima bean sweet potato toast that’s perfect for lunch or dinner (or even breakfast if you’re feeling extra adventurous).
If you make this sweet potato toast, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag it @ExSloth on Instagram!
- 1 sweet potato, washed, dried and sliced lengthwise about a ¼ inch thick
- 1 can lima beans
- a handful of basil leaves
- 2 tsp garlic
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- juice of ½ a lime
- 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ an avocado, mashed
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 zucchini, spiralized or sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 3 - 4 radishes, sliced into rounds with a vegetable peeler
- Optional: extra corn and basil for topping
- Add beans, basil garlic, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast, lime juice and 1 tbsp olive oil to a food processor and process until smooth, adding more olive oil as needed
- Mix in the mashed avocado and corn until well incorporated
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste and store in the fridge until ready to use*
- Add your sweet potato slices to the toaster and toast until cooked all the way through. I needed to toast mine 3 - 4 times at the highest setting before it was ready
- Top each sweet potato toast with lima bean spread, zucchini, radishes and extra corn and/or basil
- Optional: Drizzle with sriracha
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later:
WHAT ABOUT YOU?
- Have you made sweet potato toast before?
- What are your favourite ways to top it? Savoury or sweet?