My most recently go-to breakfast has been toast with all the toppings. It’s quick, customizable and always tasty which is exactly what I need in the mornings. But last week I ran out of bread before my normal grocery shopping day, so I had to improvise. And that’s when these easy vegan drop biscuits were born.
Breakfast biscuits were an integral part of my childhood. They were actually one of the few things I remember helping my mother cook from scratch. I say few because my family loved store-bought food, so anything homemade is especially memorable. Unfortunately traditional breakfast biscuits are filled with butter and milk and don’t really have a place in dairy-free eating.
Luckily, it turns out that dairy-free biscuits are super easy to make and still ridiculously tasty without the dairy. I’ve been using this breakfast biscuit recipe for the last year or so and I absolutely love it. Well, usually I love it. But I’m not always a huge fan of the extra effort it takes to knead, roll and cut the dough.
Don’t get me wrong, traditional cutout biscuits have their place in my kitchen. Those are for the mornings when I want to go all out on breakfast or brunch. Maybe to impress someone or maybe just on a lazy Sunday by myself. They don’t take a lot of hard work, but they do require a bit more effort and time, especially for cleanup, than I have on a regular morning.
Easy Vegan Drop Biscuits
These vegan drop biscuits, on the other hand, are for those rushed mornings when I’m pressed for time but still want something substantial (read: all the flour). They only require 6 ingredients and take less than 20 minutes, 12 of which could be spent doing something else while they’re in the oven.
And the biscuits are still so light, soft and fluffy that you’d swear you put your heart and soul into making them. Not a bad ROI, right? And the best part is, they’re customizable just like toast. I chose to have mine with homemade chia jam (recipe coming soon) but the topping and mix-in possibilities are endless. Definitely a recipe worth trying and devouring.
- ½ cup almond milk + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups white spelt flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil (2 tbsp melted, 2 tbsp cold)
- Optional mix-ins: chocolate chips, fresh berries, herbs & nutritional yeast
- Optional toppings: jam, gravy, vegan butter, vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, baking powder, salt and coconut sugar
- Cut the solid coconut oil into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter, fork or your fingertips, until the mixture is crumbly and no large chunks of coconut oil remain
- Pour in the melted coconut oil along with the milk and apple cider vinegar mixture and stir until just combined. If you're using any mix-ins, fold them in now
- Spoon the dough onto the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are just starting to brown
- Serve warm with toppings of choice
What about you?
- What’s your go-to breakfast when you’re in a rush?
- Have you ever made vegan drop biscuits before?
- Do you prefer cutout or drop biscuits?
Share in the comments below!