Hey Friends! How’s it goin?
A couple weeks ago I realized that it’s been a while since I posted a recipe for something that doesn’t require baking. So, I decided to take a break from the oven and whip up these Dairy-Free Peppermint Chocolate Covered Pretzels.
It’s strange how intimidating certain things can be until you try them. I’ve always wanted to make chocolate covered pretzels, but never attempted it for one reason or another. But now that I have, I’m not sure I can ever go back to the store bought stuff.
Why? Because these dairy-free peppermint chocolate covered pretzels are ridiculously easy to make. Plus, I can be sure that they’re dairy free which is not always the case with the store bought stuff, including dark chocolate covered ones. Oh, and one last thing: they taste ah-MA-zing.
Like I said, these are easy. You start by melting dairy-free semi sweet chocolate chips with coconut oil before adding a couple drops of peppermint/mint extract. Then you dunk your pretzels in the chocolate mixture and pull them out one by one using a fork. Finally you top with anything your little heart desires, or eat them as is, which is what happened to the first batch I made. Not pictured because I ate them all.
As you may know, I’ve never made cupcakes before and the last time I tried to make a cake was pre high school. It sucked. But, now that I’ve conquered this – admittedly – irrational fear of making peppermint chocolate covered pretzels, I’m excited to attempt other things I’ve always been hesitant to try.
If all goes well you should be seeing lots and lots of new recipes on the blog. Things like cupcakes, pudding, pies, bread, fratittas and more. If not, well, maybe I’ll write another rant about the realities of food blogging and recipe failures. But first, I want to bask in the success of these pretzels for a little longer.
I couldn’t eat any of the pretzels topped with or dipped in white chocolate since the white chocolate I had wasn’t dairy-free, and my roommates devoured them. Based on that response, I think these will be a great gift to give someone for Christmas in a mason jar tied with a bow or an easy treat to prepare for guests if you’re entertaining over the holidays.
Whether you’re giving them as a gift, sharing with holiday guests or eating them yourself, these easy to make, crunchy, tasty, dairy-free peppermint chocolate covered pretzels are sure to please.
- 1 cup dairy-free, semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 drops of pure peppermint/mint extract (more or less to taste)
- mini pretzels*
- Optional Toppings: Sprinkles, white chocolate (usually not dairy-free), nuts etc
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Microwave the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave bowl, stirring at 20 second increments until melted
- Add min extract and mix well
- Dunk pretzels into chocolate mixture and remove one by one to using a fork. Allow the excess chocolate to drip off before moving to the baking sheet to avoid wastage
- Repeat until chocolate is finished
- Top with sprinkles, melted white chocolate chops, crushed nuts etc
- Allow to cool completely before eating. You can place them in the refrigerator to speed this part up
What about you?
What foods are you intimidated by? Have you ever made chocolate covered pretzels? What’s your favourite flavour combo for chocolate covered pretzels?
Share in the comments below!
Linking up with: WIAW