This post is about to make history. Okay, so it probably won’t go down in the real history books, but this definitely a first in the history of Diary of an ExSloth. Before today, I’ve never shared a savoury breakfast recipe. But I’m about to change that with this easy black bean tofu scramble.
It’s no secret that I enjoy breakfast foods. If I could get adequate nutrition by eating smoothies, oatmeal, pancakes and cereal all day, every day, I absolutely would. But even I occasionally get fed up with all the sweet stuff in the mornings. On those days, I either have avocado toast or, very rarely, eggs of some kind.
I say ‘rarely’ because I’m not a huge egg lover. I actually hated eggs growing up, so they’ aren’t something I always have on hand. And since I started experimenting with vegan baking, I’ve actually stopped buying them altogether.
Black Bean Tofu Scramble
So when had a craving for savoury breakfast a couple weeks ago that avocado toast couldn’t satisfy, I had to improvise. Which is where the black bean tofu scramble comes in.
Scrambled eggs are a staple in many homes, including mine, so I’m no stranger to that meal. But the vegan ‘equivalent’, tofu scramble, is definitely a new-to-me dish. I’d never even thought it was possible before I saw it on my Instagram newsfeed late last year.
I admit that I wasn’t completely sold when I first read up on it. I really couldn’t understand how tofu could be egglike. That same tofu that I used to make these shredded tofu pesto sandwiches? How was that even possible? But when I finally took the plunge and made this black bean tofu scramble, it was love at first bite.
Obviously, it doesn’t taste exactly like scrambled eggs and the texture isn’t 100% there either. But, this black bean tofu scramble is definitely a thing of beauty in its own right. It’s flavourful, filled with plant-based protein and super easy to make since it only requires one pot and 20 minutes. You definitely need to try this whether or not tofu scramble has ever been on your radar.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ of an onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- ½ bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 package (350 g) extra firm tofu, drained and dried
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 cup kale leaves
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional Toppings: salsa and avocado
- In a small bowl, mix together the turmeric, cumin and chili powder along with 1 - 2 tbsp water and set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then saute the onion and bell pepper for 2 - 3 minutes
- Add the garlic and continue to saute for an additional 2 - 3 minutes until the veggies have softened
- While the veggies are cooking, crumble the tofu into bite-sized pieces, using a fork or your fingers
- Add the tofu to the skillet and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Pour in the spice mixture and stir in immediately until everything is evenly coated
- Add in the black beans and kale and continue to cook until the kale has wilted and the tofu is slightly brown (about 5 minutes)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve immediately with salsa and avocado
Liked this post? Don’t forget to pin it for later!
What about you?
- Do you prefer sweet or savoury breakfasts?
- What’s your go to breakfast recipe?
- Have you ever had tofu scramble before?
Share in the comments below!
Get Social with me on:
Facebook – Diary of an Ex-Sloth
Twitter – @ExSloth
Pinterest – @ExSloth
Instagram – @ExSloth
Google+ – +GiselleRochford
Bloglovin – Diary of an ExSloth
More Breakfast Recipes:
Follow GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth’s board Breakfast Recipes on Pinterest.
Erin @ The Almond Eater says
I think I can somehow still like you even though you don’t love eggs 😉 I DO love tofu scrambles and this looks so, so good.
Emilie @ Emilie Eats says
Beautiful!! I agree with you on getting sick of sweet breakfasts sometimes – chickpea pancakes with avocado and tofu scrambles are my go-to. Plus, you get so much more protein. This is gorgeous!! Send me some!
genevieve @ gratitude & greens says
I love tofu scrambles! So yummy. There’s so much protein in this dish- talk about a power breakfast! 😀
rachel @ Athletic Avocado says
Im not a savory breakfast person either, but when I do crave them, they tend to look like this with all the veggies, spices and of course, avocado!
rachel @ Athletic Avocado recently posted…BBQ Beet Power Bowl + Love Beets Review
Alysia at Slim Sanity says
Almost always a savory breakfast! Sweet breakfasts once in a while, but it’s usually followed with something savory anyway 🙂
Sam @ PancakeWarriors says
I have never tried a tofu scramble but this looks awesome! Anything with black beans is amazing though 🙂