Quick question: Why are green zucchinis called zucchinis but yellow zucchini called summer squash? Why can they both be called zucchini but only one called summer squash? Why is English so hard?
Regardless of the reason, I’m breaking the rules today with this avocado summer squash pasta salad and calling both varieties ‘summer squash’. Hashtag rebel
If you’ve been keeping up with my Instagram Stories, you’d know that I’ve basically been living on a bus for the last week. I spent a total of 3 days at home this week and the next couple weeks probably won’t be any better.
I’d originally planned to skip posting this month on account of all the travelling. But when I got back to Waterloo on Wednesday, I knew I had to make this something or I’d go crazy.
5 days without home cooked food is not as fun as you’d think. I tried to make healthy food choices even though I was on the go but it wasn’t always easy.
Turns out, convenient, plant-based meals fall into three less than desirable categories. Either they’re cheap but taste like crap. Or are reasonably priced but lack some key nutrients (looking at you protein). Or the meal is the best thing you ever tasted but you have to sell a kidney to afford it.
I’ll take none of the above for 100, please.
Avocado Summer Squash Pasta Salad
This avocado summer squash pasta salad was the answer to all my problems. It’s is easy on the wallet, super simple and yummy AF. Plus, it’s got a little protein (hello, edamame), is portable and doesn’t require a microwave. All important things to consider when it comes to on-the-go meals for busy days.
If you make this summer squash pasta salad, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag me @ExSloth on Instagram!
- 2 cups fusilli pasta, uncooked
- 1 summer squash, cubed
- ½ a small zucchini, cubed
- ¾ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup shelled edamame, thawed
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp basli, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sliced kalamata olives
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp vinegar (I used half balsamic & half white wine vinegar)
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, rinse under cold water and set aside to cool while you prep the veggies
- Add the pasta and veggies to a large bowl and stir until well combined
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing
- Pour over pasta and veggie mixture and toss to combine
- Serve as is or chill for a few hours before eating
Want more easy lunches? Try this one:
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later
What about you?
- What’s your go-to plant-based meal when you’re on the go?
- What’s the deal with zucchini and summer squash?