If you follow me on Instagram, you’d know that I’m a little obsessed with toast at the moment. I mean what’s not to love? It’s quick, customizable and combines two of my favourite things: carbs and toppings. But ever since I made these breakfast tacos last week, I’ve been reaching for tortillas instead of bread in the mornings, which is how this sweet & salty avocado breakfast pizza came about.
Honestly, there’s not much about this that resembles traditional pizza. I use whole wheat tortillas instead of pizza crust. There’s no cheese. And there’s fruit on it. But, it’s round and I use a pizza cutter to slice into it so it must be a pizza. Hashtag logic.
Regardless of what it’s called, this avocado breakfast pizza is one of the easiest things I’ve ever made for breakfast. Which is great since I always wake up starving and the less amount of time between opening my eyes and filling my stomach, the better. Bonus points for the fact that this looks sophisticated AF with minimal work.
Sweet & Salty Avocado Breakfast Pizza
Now that we’ve talked about why I’m suddenly in love with avocado breakfast pizza, let’s talk about the few ingredients that are actually in/on it.
First up is the tortilla or pizza crust. I have no inclination to make a pizza crust from scratch first thing in the morning, so I went with tortillas. If you don’t have any on hand, you can go with pitas or even toast. Although, that last one would make this more of a souped up avocado toast and less of an avocado breakfast pizza. Up to you, though.
Next up is avocado. Obviously. Is any
breakfast meal really complete without avocado these days? In this case, the avocados act as the pizza ‘sauce’ so they’re plenty necessary if you ask me.
And finally the toppings. Arguably the best part of the dish and definitely the place where you can get the most creative. I went for fruit, a handful of walnuts, a sprinkle of pepper and salt and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. I’ve always been skeptical about the fruit/balsamic vinegar combo but I’ll gladly admit to being wrong if it means I can have this avocado breakfast pizza on repeat.
- 4 small whole wheat pitas
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced
- 4 fresh figs, sliced
- 4 fresh strawberries, sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar (I used a fig flavoured vinegar, but any balsamic should work)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Warm up the tortillas in a skillet over medium heat, about 30 seconds per side
- Remove from heat and mash half an avocado onto each tortilla
- Top with fruit slices and walnuts and return to the skillet
- Heat up the pizza for a couple minutes over medium-low heat, until the bottom of the tortilla is golden brown
- Remove from heat, drizzle with 1 - 2 tsp balsamic vinegar and add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve immediately
Liked this recipe? Scroll over the image below & pin it for later
What about you?
- Have you ever made breakfast pizza before?
- What toppings did you put on it?
- Are you a fan of avocado on all the things?
Join the conversation in the comments below!
Get Social with me on: