Hey There Friends! How’s it goin?
Things are fantastical here in Waterloo! Okay so they really aren’t. It snowy and colder than a witch’s tit (<- always wanted to say that lol) but I’ve been eating these brownie pancakes for breakfast (lunch and dinner 😉 ) for the last few days…
…so how can I not throw around words like ‘fantastical’? 😀
Search for the Perfect Pancake
Some of you may remember that I’ve been trying to perfect my pancake recipe for the longest time. I could never get it just right but thought I’d found the best solution with this baked pancake loaf.
I’ve been resorting to making one of these whenever I felt the need for pancakes but boy am I glad I decided to give more traditional pancakes another go this week!
If I hadn’t I might have missed out on the awesomeness that is the Peanut Butter Oatmeal Brownie Pancake. The name’s a mouthful, I know. But oh, what a delicious mouthful 😀
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Brownie Pancakes
The inspiration for these pancakes came from a batch of brownies that I made for a potluck last week. I LOVED the combination of peanut butter and chocolate (who doesn’t?!?!) in the brownies but I couldn’t justify having them for every meal…unfortunately! 🙁
So when my cravings got the best of me and I was about to whip up another batch of brownies for breakfast, I had the wild idea to try to turn it into brownie pancakes instead.
I was pretty sure my conscience would let me have peanut butter brownie pancakes for breakfast without much fuss, so I went with it. 😀
The brownie pancakes weren’t exactly fluffy but they were moist, hearty, healthy and best of all: yummy! I’ll definitely be making these again whenever I have a hankering for pancakes or brownies or both!
Two birds…one yummy, yummy stone 😀
I can literally write an ode to these brownie pancakes, that’s how much I love them! But I think you get the idea 😉 so here’s the recipe:
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oat flour*
- ¼ cup oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp coco powder
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup or golden agave
- Optional: ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, pb chips or other add-ins
- Whisk together egg, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, salt, baking powder and baking soda until well combined
- Add in almond milk and continue whisking until combined
- Stir in flours, coco powder and peanut butter and mix until just combined
- Fold in oats and any optional add-ins now
- Pour about ⅓ cup of the mixture onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or pan, and cook until bubbles form on top
- Flip and cook for another 2 minutes or so on the other side
- Top with more peanut butter and maple syrup or agave
Test it out and let me know if you enjoyed it as much as I did!!
What about you?
What’s you biggest issue with making pancakes from scratch?
Have you ever had/considered ‘brownie’ pancakes?
Share in the comments below!