Since July is National Ice Cream month, I had planned to end the Ice Cream Sundays series today. But I still have a few ideas for ice cold treats floating around in my brain, so I’ll probably extend it for a couple weeks. That being said, I wanted to end July with a bang so I’m sharing my favourite ice cream flavour with you a.k.a. vegan rum raisin ice cream.
You guyssss. This recipe is the reason for my obsession with no churn vegan ice cream. My favourite homemade ice cream before going diary free was rum & raisin. So last summer, when I decided to give coconut ice cream a try, vegan rum raisin ice cream was the first thing I attempted.
That initial attempt wasn’t the best but now that I’ve perfected my coconut cream + condensed coconut milk ice cream base I figured I should give it a go again. And man am I glad I did.
No Churn Vegan Rum Raisin Ice Cream
The only difference is that you need to soak your raisins in rum ahead of time. The first time I made this, I soaked mine for almost two days, so the final product was super rummy. But this time, just a couple of hours did the trick.
Once the raisins are ready you just need to whip your coconut cream and rum, mix in the condensed coconut milk and finally fold in the rum soaked raisins. Then wait impatiently for 6 – 8 hours while it freezes.
The resulting vegan rum raisin ice cream is decadent and creamy with a slight kick thanks to the rum soaked raisins. And despite. or maybe because of, the coconutty flavour, this is the perfect dairy-free alternative to traditional rum raisin ice cream.
If you make this rum raisin ice cream, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and rate the recipe or take a pic and tag me @ExSloth and #IceCreamSundays on Instagram!
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup white or dark rum
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1 - 2 tbsp white or dark rum
- Add the raisins and rum to a small bowl and soak for at least 2 hours
- Once the raisins have plumped up, drain the raisins, reserving 1 - 2 tbsp rum for ice cream
- Add the condensed coconut milk to a medium sized bowl and set aside
- Scoop the coconut cream from the cans of coconut milk or cream and put it in another medium sized bowl. Discard the water or reserve for something else
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip the cream and rum until smooth and creamy
- Whisk ½ the coconut cream mixture into the condensed coconut milk until just incorporated then gently fold in the rest followed by the rum soaked raisins
- Transfer the mixture to a loaf pan lined with parchment paper, cover with more parchment paper and freeze overnight or until solid
- Store in the freezer and use within 1 - 2 weeks
Want more no churn ice cream recipes? Try this one:
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later:
What about you?
- Have you ever had vegan rum raisin ice cream before? Homemade or store-bought?
- What’s your favourite ice cream flavour?
Get Social with me on: