Ready to spice up your salad game? Try this fall harvest salad with pomegranate vinaigrette. It’s easy to throw together, loaded with the flavours of fall and is vegan, gluten-free and paleo friendly.
For some strange reason, my usual ‘eat all the sweets and carbs’ mentality has deserted me this fall. Sure, I still make and eat desserts. But my savoury food cravings have been through the roof lately.
That being said, I’m still not much of a salad person. Despite being plant-based for almost 6 months now, I still find it kind of hard to actually eat plants on a regular basis. Oops.
So this fall I challenged myself to get more veggies in my diet, without covering them up in baked goods. And of course, since I’m lazy AF, I’ve just been throwing together random salads on a daily.
I’m not gonna lie, apart from the pumpkin falafel buddha bowl, most of them have been super underwhelming. But when I stumbled upon the amazing combination of fall flavours in this salad, I knew I had to share it with you.
Fall Harvest Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
The salad itself is just a bed of greens topped with roasted squash, roasted brussels sprouts, apples, walnuts and pomegranate arils. So basically all the fall produce in one bowl.
It’s actually pretty good on it’s own, which is how I had it the first time around. But the sweet and tart pomegranate vinaigrette just takes everything to a whole other level. And the best part is, it only calls for 5 ingredients plus salt and pepper.
Honestly, if more of my meals looked like this fall harvest salad, I’d happily give up my sweets.
Just kidding. Chocolate is life.
But this salad is pretty damn epic, especially when you throw the pomegranate vinaigrette into the mix. Project ‘Eat all the Salads 2016’ isn’t looking so bad.
What about you?
Favourite way to get your greens in? What fall produce are you loving at the moment?
More salad recipes:
- 1 small squash, chopped and peeled*
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup salad greens of choice
- 1 apple, diced**
- 2 tbsp toasted walnuts
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 3 tbsp pomegranate juice***
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp agave
- 1 tsp minced shallots (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the veggies:
- Preheat oven to 400F, line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside
- Toss the squash and brussels sprouts in olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Spread the veggies onto the baking tray in one layer and bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until cooked through. Time will vary depending on size of squash pieces
- Make the dressing:
- While the veggies are cooking, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients and set aside. You can also use a blender to combine
- Assemble the bowls:
- Divide the greens, squash, brussels sprouts, apple, walnuts and pomegranate arils into two bowls
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and enjoy
**I used ½ a red apple and ½ a green one
***I used fresh pomegranate juice, but if you don't have any on hand, use bottled and adjust sweetener accordingly