Hey Friends! How’s it goin?
Well today I want to share another oat heavy recipe with ya:
Easy (15 minute) Vegan, Gluten Free Coconut Granola Bites
You may or may not know that I haven’t always been an egg eater. I started eating eggs around the time I started this blog because I woke up one morning with the mother of all egg cravings. I didn’t question it, just boiled some eggs and devoured them. And I haven’t looked back since.
But, when I’m on autopilot at the grocery store – i.e. whenever I go without a list – I ALWAYS forget the eggs.
Of course, on Monday, I decided I wanted an egg sandwich AND to make some granola bars and I didn’t have enough eggs for both 😐
I’ve experimented with flax eggs before so that wasn’t a huge problem. What was a problem, was the lack of parchment paper AND foil in my kitchen. I have an irrational fear of baking without either because I’m always afraid that whatever I make will stick to the pan and not be picture worthy.
My saving grace? My inability to NOT buy muffin tin liners every other week. I seriously have 300+ right now. So in the end, my would-be coconut granola bars turned into vegan coconut granola bites.
And I must say they were a success 😀
The first couple times I made these coconut granola bites as granola bars, I used a large egg and honey. Since I was already replacing the egg with a flax egg, I decided to go all out and swap out the honey as well.
I was actually glad I had to make them in muffin tins because without the honey they were a little crumbly right out the oven. But they firmed up as they cooled and were definitely solid after some time in the fridge.
I’ve been having coconut granola bites as afternoon snacks for a little pick me up, but they’ll be great for breakfast as well.
Warning: If you plan on sharing, double or even triple this recipe because it only yields 6 small coconut granola bites. Jussayin 😉
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water (for flax egg)
- 1 cup rolled oats*
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp semi sweet chocolate chips**
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- Mix together ground flax and water and set aside. Mixture should firm up and resemble the consistency of a whisked egg after a few minutes
- Preheat oven to 350C
- Add dry ingredients (oats, nuts, chocolate chips, cinnamon, coconut) to a large bowl
- In a small bowl, mix together maple syrup, vanilla and almond extracts and coconut oil
- Add wet ingredients to try and mix
- Mix in flax egg
- Spoon out mixture into muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan
- Place on rack and/or in fridge and allow to cool full
**Use vegan chocolate chips if necessary
What about you?
Have you joined my oatmeal lovin’ train yet?
Do you make your on granola bars?
Share in the comments below!
Subscribe for weekly health tips
This post was included in the following linkups: Twirl & Take a Bow, Whatever Wednesday, The Makers, The Wednesday Roundup, The Weekend re-Treat, Get Him Fed, Let’s Get Real, That Friday Blog Hop, Delicious Dish Tuesday, Monday Homemade Linkup